Part 11

After that day, they never spoke about it again. Harlow had kept an eye out for Aidan Johnson around town, but it seemed that he had disappeared off the face of the Earth. When the boys and Polly had returned almost a week later, all the bruises had mainly vanished, and only little marks remained on the children's skin. These could easily be blamed on clumsiness and falling over in the playground rather than being attacked by a full-grown man because their dad slept with a married teacher.

As much as Harlow wanted to strangle John, she kept her cool around him and continued on with her day to day life, checking in on the kids on a daily basis to make sure they were doing alright. After all, someone had to since John barely paid any attention to them. It wasn't fair, they were great kids and yet they rarely saw their father.

Everything was going great until Edward and the other three kids asked to go to The Garrison one Friday afternoon with Harlow and Finn. Harlow knew that the bar wouldn't get busy until around seven, so the kids wouldn't be in the way since it was only about 3pm. What she didn't realise was that The Shelby brothers and Jay had decided to go for a quiet drink in their private compartment.

Finn shuffled his cousins into an empty booth near the back whilst Harlow collected some drinks from the bar; all the kids had an orange juice whereas she just got herself a water, not really feeling like drinking alcohol that day. Charlotte began chattering about horses, pulling on Olly's arm whenever she thought he wasn't paying attention which made the others laugh.

Suddenly, as the main door swung open, Lily's face drained of colour as Harlow turned around cautiously to look who had entered. There, in the centre of the doorway stood Aidan Johnson with a smug grin etched onto his face. Charlotte had stopped talking, immediately shuffling onto Finn's lap as Olly grabbed onto her arm, terrified.

When he noticed the young Shelby clan, he began to make his way over causing Lily to panic, clinging onto her older brother like it was a reflex, "Harlow..." Her faint voice wavered as her godmother rose from her seat. "Finn, stay with them." She muttered demandingly as she approached the man, stopping him from reaching the kids.

As Harlow came face to face with Aidan, she stood with her chin up and glared at him in his big, dark eyes, "Get out." She whispered, watching as he chuckled quietly, staring over at the table of nervous youngsters. When he failed to move, she took a little step forward despite the fact she was a lot smaller than him, "I said, get the fuck out." Her voice was a little louder and her eyes narrowed intimidatingly.

Nonetheless, he ignored her and attempted to move around her petite figure, which only made Harlow more frustrated. With all her might, she shoved him backwards to which he stumbled with an angry expression on his face. At that point, everyone in the pub had their eyes set on the pair, but nobody dared to intervene. Aidan Johnson was notorious for being a dangerous man and Harlow Winters, well... nobody wanted to get on the bad side of her.

"You fucking bitch." He shouted, swinging his arm into her face aggressively, sending her barrelling against the bar. When she noticed movement from behind her, she grimaced and shoved herself back up, "Sit down Finn." Harlow muttered, before shoving the man into a pole and kicking him in the stomach. He winced in pain but responded with another punch to her ribs which made her fall in agony onto a table.

"Harlow!" Charlotte screamed, running over to her in a moment of panic. "No Charlotte!" Harlow screamed whilst Finn grabbed his littlest cousin and pulled her behind him just as a glass shattered where she had stood. Lily, Edward and Olly jumped out of the booth and ran to Finn who sheltered them from the fight.

Aidan began to make his way over to them as Harlow recovered herself and launched herself at his large figure.

Simultaneously the door to the Shelby private room swung open as she punched him on his nose. Harlow turned in shock towards the men, and the momentary distraction gave Aidan a chance to fight back. When she saw Tommy's worried eyes, everything went in slow motion.