Part 14

Tommy and Harlow leaned against the wall in a comfortable silence, watching as bunches of carefree kids came running from the building, ready to cause harmless havoc in the small town. A few of them calmed down and walked in the opposite direction when they noticed Thomas Shelby stood nearby, not wanting to get on the wrong side of him or the Shelby family. Harlow couldn't help but laugh at the power he held over people, even when he was minding his own business.

"What?" Tommy questioned curiously, not turning his head, hearing her angelic giggle from beside him. Harlow shook her head softly, noticing that the steady flow of kids had come to a standstill and yet there was still no sign of her lot. Anxiously, she pushed herself off the wall, "Where are they?" Harlow whispered quietly as Tommy furrowed his eyebrows, noticing her growing concern.

"Do they know you're collecting them?" He suggested, thinking that the kids could have forgotten and sneaked by without them realising. As soon as Tommy spoke, Harlow sighed, pulling a sore hand through her messy hair. They knew she was coming, meaning that they had most likely gotten into trouble and were waiting for her rather than receiving an earful from their father.

"Yes, yes they do." Harlow muttered, sauntering down the path, Tommy aimlessly following her in pursuit. Not once had he ever stepped into the school building since he had left all those years ago, it felt weird to enter the same doors as an adult.

The dark corridors felt claustrophobic to him and he almost felt bad for forcing Finn to finish his last year at school unlike the rest of the men in the family who left much before. Nonetheless, he and Harlow continued to the classroom that was most familiar to her, "Please be nice Tommy." She twisted to face him before pushing the door open.

Mrs Johnson was sat by the window, reading a book to Lily and Charlotte who seemed intrigued by the words. When they heard the door open, the three of them swivelled suddenly, Charlotte beaming before jumping off the worktop and running straight for Tommy. Smiling, he pulled her up into his arms as she laughed, "Uncle Tom! What are you doing here?"

Harlow smiled as they engaged in a conversation in the doorway but made her way over to Lily and the teacher at the other side of the room. "Hey Lils," Harlow stroked her brown fair softly as Lily stared up at her in shock, "What happened to your face?" She asked curiously, but her godmother just shook her head, "Don't worry about me. What's going on here? Where are the boys?" Harlow requested, facing Rose who frowned gingerly.

"There was a scuffle at breaktime, it wasn't Edward's fault, but the headteacher is new and completely unfair." The polite teacher explained, glancing over to check on Charlotte who was still entertained by her uncle. Harlow nodded, urging her to continue, "Some of the older boys tried to pick on Charlotte, so Lily stepped in, only for them to pick on her. Then Edward got involved and Finn and Isaiah got pulled in somehow. Mr Rade dragged them all of to his office, I managed to persuade him to leave the girls with me, they hadn't done anything wrong." Rose smiled gently down to Lily who sat cross legged next to her.

"I'll go and get them; he can't punish them if it wasn't their fault." Harlow announced, rising to her feet only to be halted by Rose, "Be careful, he's not a nice man." She warned, watching as her old friend flew out of the classroom, leaving an occupied Tommy behind.

Harlow hated the school system; kids would always get in trouble when it wasn't even their fault. She wasn't aware that there had been a new headteacher, meaning that he hadn't introduced himself to the town like the new staff usually did. And if Rose was warning her that he was a horrible man, Mr Rade must truly be awful.

Harlow reached the head teachers office and didn't hesitate to burst through the door. If the man had any sense, he would realise who she was straight away, but clearly not. The room fell quiet as she strolled in, immediately locking eyes with the four boys sat at the side of the office. Finn, Isaiah, Olly and Edward all sat with an angry frown on their face, slightly bruised, but relatively unscathed.

"Excuse me, who do you think you are?" Mr Rade demanded sternly, whilst Harlow ignored him making her way over to the kids who stared at her with a knowing smirk. If Harlow was here, they could get away with anything; nobody would dare question her.

"I'm Harlow Winters, and you are?" She asked patronizingly, glaring into his glinting eyes as she stood in between him and the children. The headteacher scoffed, eyeing up the brunette in front of his rudely, "I'll have you know that I am the headteacher, I will be spoken to with some respect." He demanded, to which she placed her hands on her hips.

"I show respect when it is earned, certainly not to men who punish innocent kids. Come on, we're leaving." Harlow announced, turning towards the boys who stood up cautiously. With her back to the man, she didn't notice how close he had advanced to her, causing her to jump slightly at the proximity. "Did I say they could leave?" He shouted, Finn and Isaiah stepping closer to the small woman protectively.

"No, but I said they could, and my word overrules yours." She retaliated calmly, attempting to step around the man. He glared down at her evilly, spitting his next words, "I mean it's no surprise that these kids turned out so badly, with a whore of a mother like you. Six kids without being married.' 

His words angered her immensely, although they weren't her kids, she would not have anyone talk bad about them. Harlow knew he had gone too far, and she grit her teeth, placing a hand on Isaiah's chest as he stepped forwards.

"Finn, go and get your father." Harlow requested slowly, him responding with confused eyes. His dad had left years ago, so he was puzzled to what she meant. "Go to the classroom and get your father." She reiterated, creating a small T with her fingers, and his eyes went wide, yet he nodded, nonetheless.

Usually she'd beat the horrendous man herself, but in her current condition, it was unlikely that she'd win, "Hey, I didn't say he could leave." Mr Rade shouted once more, but Finn was already long gone, running down the empty corridors to fetch his feared older brother.

"Isaiah, take Olly and Edward to the classroom please." Harlow briskly smiled, ushering them out of the room. Before she could follow them, the headteacher slammed the door shut harshly, almost trapping her wrist in the process. "I will not be mistreated by some fucking Birmingham whore." He pushed Harlow back slightly, sending she stumbling over her feet into the wall.

Unexpectedly, the large man shoved his hand around her neck, causing her to wince due to the previously formed bruises. Harlow tried to push the man, but he lowered his face towards hers intimidatingly, breathing down her neck, "Although, I can see why the men like you." He muttered disgustingly, pressing his lips to hers. Harlow squirmed under his tight grip, biting his lip harshly to make him let go.

Suddenly, he stepped back, wiping his lip and throwing her to the floor in the process, "You bitch, you're in for it now."

Thankfully, the brown door flung open firmly as Tommy stormed through the door with a wild look in his eye. Noticing Harlow slinked on the ground, he rapidly stalked towards the man, who urgently became very worried. Repetitively, Tommy pounded his fist into the man's face, cracking sounds echoing around the room. Meanwhile Finn ran back into the office, helping Harlow to her feet, clutching her shoulders softly.

When Tommy finally ceased, the man was almost dead, blood flowing over the desk as he whimpered, "If you ever come near my family again, I will fucking kill you." Finn and Harlow stood in eerie silence, waiting for Tommy to calm down and face them.

When he eventually turned around, he sauntered straight to Harlow, kissing for forehead gently, wrapping an arm around her shoulders, leading her towards the exit. The pair froze when they saw the four younger children watching, terrified in the doorway.

Tommy tried to hide his bloodied hands in his pocket when he noticed Charlotte staring at him nervously from behind her teacher's legs. He knew they had witnessed his fit of outrage, and it was something no child should ever have to see, especially not his own nieces and nephews.

"Come on kids, let's go home." Harlow attempted to smile enthusiastically, holding her hands out to Charlotte and Olly safely gripped onto her, scared to take their eyes off their uncle. Lily immediately followed after, Edward was pushed along by Isaiah and Finn who patted Tommy fondly on the back.

"I'll send someone round." Thomas Shelby announced to the motionless teacher who stared blankly at her bloodied boss. He pulled his cap on harshly before following the group back to the shop.