Part 75

"Do you have anything you'd like to say to me?" Harlow asked pleasantly as the silence had lingered a little too long between herself and Alfie. She could hardly recognise the Londoner who had been so sweet to her for weeks prior. It seemed that a switch had been flicked and his heart was as cold as ice. 

"I don't know what you want to hear other than an apology." Alfie shrugged with as little care as anyone could possibly show. Harlow's astounded expression clearly implied that he wasn't saying anything right, but he didn't correct himself. 

"I'm not going to allow myself to be treated like an idiot again. Tommy did that, I'm glad I got rid of him, and same goes for you." Harlow responded bluntly. If he wasn't going to put in any effort, neither would she. She was done with the games. If her life was in danger, she didn't want to die settling for being second best, she'd rather remain independent if that is what it would take. 

"In that case, I wish you the best of luck Harlow Winters, because no man in this world will ever be completely loyal, and you're delusional if you still believe in that bloody fairy tale." Alfie stated cruelly, pushing himself out of his chair and leaving the room without another word. 

Basking in his absence, Harlow sat in disbelief for a few moments, "What the actual fuck just happened?" She muttered to herself. She wasn't a hopeless romantic like Lizzie, and she wasn't desperate to plan a wedding like Ada was, but deep inside Harlow knew that there must be someone for her in this life. Lizzie had found Jay, and Ada had found Nick. Maybe third time would be a charm. She'd just have to wait and see. 

As she contemplated Alfie's unforeseen bitterness, for the umpteenth time that hour, the door opened as a roughed up Finn, Isaiah and Edward were escorted in by a tense and deservedly frustrated Tommy and John.

"Sit." Tommy demanded as the young men slouched onto the sofa obediently. Cautiously, Harlow grabbed Finn's chin, twisting it so he was facing her watchful expression. His nose was slightly bloody, but it fortunately wasn't broken. Otherwise, he'd have to experience a lot more pain pushing it back into place. 

"I gave you one rule for tonight. No fighting." Tommy stated glaringly, taking an authoritative stance behind his desk whilst John stood slightly to the side, trying not to seem too proud of his son for receiving nearly no injuries. 

"So why the fuck did you think it was okay to start a fight on my fucking wedding day?" Tommy shouted loudly, slamming his fist down on his desk with a terrifying gleam in his eye, "Someone better start talking." The boys looked amongst one another, seeing who was going to speak up first, and of course it had to be Finn, "We didn't start, they fucking did." 

Harlow was surprised by the amount of anger laced in the tone of the young man beside her. She was used to Finn always having a happy-go-lucky attitude, so his lack of joy presented itself as a warning that something bad had occurred. 

She shared a wary glance with John, who's expression mirrored her own. Finn didn't often resort to violence, normally only in three circumstances. The first being when Arthur would try and nick food off his plate. Secondly, when violence was inflicted upon him first, and thirdly, to protect or defend his family. 

"Spit it out, we haven't got all day." John urged his little brother, resting against the edge of Tommy's desk as his arms crossed firmly across his chest. He had perfected his intimidating glare over the years, but it had little impact on the trio in front of him. 

"Some fucking idiot started getting touchy with Lily, and even after she shouted at him, he didn't get the picture, so we taught him a little lesson on respect." Isaiah shrugged ambivalently, clearly prouder in himself at defending his girlfriend so aggressively to care about the bruise forming on his chin.