Part 47

"Why am I not surprised?" Harlow grinned widely, raising a curved eyebrow at the man who had his thumb firmly pressed down on the city of London. Anything on his half of the city was right there for the taking as far as Alfie could see. He owned it all, but in this case he had an actual contract. 

He had always loved the restaurant from a young age when his mother once allowed the two to visit when he was only a child. With a delicious scent of food and the glistening golden furniture, he immediately fell in love with it. Like a magpie, he desired everything shiny. As soon as he had built up his empire, he purchased the place without so much as a glance at his tower of money. 

"Now, tell me about your plans." Alfie urged interestedly, leaning his elbows on the table, widening his stature. Harlow suddenly snapped out of her admiration for the bar, remembering that she came with an agenda; to talk about the business. 

"The Shelbys and the Wentworths have an agreement to work together in order to take over Sabini's claim on London. They made their move last night which thankfully was successful, and we'd like your full cooperation with the movement. Thomas made it clear that he has no quarrel with you or any of the business you carry out in London and wants to guarantee that none of their actions will be of consequence to you." Harlow explained professionally, sitting upright as she watched the clogs churn behind Alfie's eyes. He was difficult to read, but she was trying her best. 

"Whilst I'm sure that's important and all," Alfie began, flicking off the speech like it was nothing, "I actually meant what are your plans Miss Harlow Winters? As far as I know, you don't have Tommy holding you back anymore." He rose his eyebrow expectantly as Harlow sighed, realising that he wasn't at all interested in talking business. 

Narrowing her eyes, Harlow grabbed the menu harshly, scanning her eyes over the writing, "So that's why you asked me here? To prove something to Tommy, not to talk about the business at all." The agitation inside her began to bubble, rising to the surface of her skin wildly. It infuriated her that all these men thought they could waste her time just to prove something for their own obnoxious pride. They were all as bad as each other. 

Alfie frowned, taking a gulp of his whiskey that had been placed on the table by the same hurried waiter who unsurprisingly didn't hang around to chat. 

"You think I have something to prove to Thomas Shelby?" Alfie asked in a monotone way, almost as if he was declaring a disgusted statement rather than expecting an answer. Harlow stared over the top of her menu, following the lines on his forehead, signifying that her words had bothered him. 

"Why did you invite me here Alfie?" Harlow questioned sternly, dropping the menu to the table, accidentally clattering the cutlery placed neatly upon it. A few people looked up, but after realising where the noise had come from, they instantly put their heads down. They clearly had a sense of self preservation. 

Alfie sighed exaggeratedly, slumping back in his chair as he ran a scarred hand across his stubbly beard. He paused for a moment, debating his words, "Has it ever occurred to you that I actually enjoy your company?"

Harlow looked up, not fully trusting the man before her. However, as she met his bright eyes, she knew he was telling the truth, and somehow it made her feel a little warmer inside. Tommy used to make her feel like that, but ever since the truth about Grace was revealed, she felt numb around him. Nevertheless, feeling nothing was better than feeling hurt. 

A small smile toyed on her lips as she tilted her head to the side, "I don't know if that's an honour or a death sentence." Harlow clasped the glass that sat in front of her, sipping the luscious red wine that filled it with an ounce of happiness. It made her feel like an ordinary woman living an ordinary life, when in reality, she couldn't be further from it. 

"Was that really so hard to believe?" Alfie pried, but the response was short lived as the waiter returned to take their food order. Once again, he didn't hang around, so Harlow was grateful she hadn't forgotten to ask for parmesan on top of her pasta dish. 

"I guess it's lucky that I quite like your company too." Harlow admitted, raising her glass with an award winning smirk on her painted lips. 

***

"Since you're heading back to Birmingham tomorrow why don't you let me take you to one of my clubs before I take you back?" Alfie offered anticipatingly as the pair left the restaurant. They had eaten, laughed and drank for hours, and Harlow could feel that the alcohol had gone to her head. 

Thankfully, she had just enough sense to call it a night, knowing that the journey from London to Birmingham would be absolute hell if she stayed out any longer and drank anything more. 

"Although that sounds lovely, I'm afraid I'll have to decline. But next time..." Harlow droned off as they stood at the curb, watching as Alfie's chauffeur pulled up on queue. Alfie looked down at her, a grin forming on his lips, "Next time?" 

The intoxicated pair stared at each other before Harlow slid into the car with a chuckle, "You didn't think you could get rid of me that easily did you?" 

The Solomons bit his lip, shaking his head with a smile as he closed the door, strolling around to the other side of the car to take his seat beside the brunette. They had learned a lot about each other during their meal, including stories from their childhood, their hopes for the future, the people they cared for most. Surprisingly, Harlow realised just how many people she held dear. 

Similarly, she loved hearing about Alfie's upbringing which was so different to hers in Birmingham. Despite their different experiences, fate had brought them to the exact same place, and neither one were complaining. 

On the journey home, the joking continued, spurred by the substantial amount of alcohol in their system. It felt nice to laugh, Alfie rarely felt free enough to express himself around many people, but around Harlow, he truly did not care. 

The way her hazel eyes lit up in glee as she spoke about things that brought her joy and the way the curled strands of hair that had fallen, gracefully framing her face was angelic. But her laugh was the best, it was sweet, yet passionate like a beautiful melody only found in the centre of nature. 

Eventually, they pulled up outside the Shelby residence and Harlow had to compose herself in order to climb out of the car in one piece. Alfie chuckled as she struggled, getting out himself to pull her up onto the pavement as she wobbled in her heels precariously. 

"Thank you for a great night Alfie." Harlow smiled gratefully, pressing a small kiss to his cheek before climbing the steps as eloquently as she could after a few too many glasses of wine. 

"Harlow," He added as she turned before opening the front door, "If I was Tommy, I'd be punching myself right now." Alfie winked, leaning against the car as she smiled, feeling a sense of charm flood over her. She waved as she shut the door, locking it with the key as she took a deep breath. 

Almost immediately, Ada emerged from the living room door, clearly having just woken up from dosing off accidentally. She had tried her hardest to stay away, but the sofa was too comfortable and practically lulled her into her dreams. Nonetheless, the Shelby was now wide awake, and not prepared to wait a single second longer, "Tell me everything!"