Part 3

1916

2 years after it had started, there was no evidence that the catastrophic war was ever going to end. Polly had nearly had a heart attack when a policeman had knocked on her door, showing sympathy for her loss, only for the idiot to realise he was at the wrong house. Although they were overjoyed that their boys were okay, they were devastated that somebody else was about to receive the news of their loss.

With the constant worry for the men out in France, Harlow tried not to let it affect the business at all, and she was doing an impeccable job. Money was flying into the company left, right and centre, bringing both stress and joy to Ada as she juggled the books, informing Harlow of their fortune repetitively.

She didn't take much notice of the Shelby sister as Harlow tried to focus precisely on closing deals, assuring alliances and keeping her workers content. One night, when everyone had left and she was sat alone in the betting den, she decided to check the books. She swore that she nearly had a stroke when she saw the pure size of their income and savings, it was beyond ridiculous the amount they had made.

With the success of the stables, which were now also offering horse riding lessons to rich children, and the popularity of the Garrison and the betting shops, they really were rolling in it. Without hesitation, she decided to buy three more pubs in the surrounding area, each one in a different name, Thomas Shelby, John Shelby and Jay Winters.

Harlow Winters had become well known since taking over the Shelby Company, but she was also well liked, paying her workers a decent rate and only enforcing rules when necessary. Although she tried to keep the illegal side down to a minimum, there were times when it had to be done, and she was more than happy to do it.

She had kindly been given the offer of buying two legal racecourse betting bays by a kind old gentleman who had paid Charlie to train his horse. She had created a strong relationship between herself and his lovely wife, causing them to unthinkingly go to her when he decided to retire.

Hardly able to believe that this opportunity had landed straight in her lap, she took it and paid respectable men who she trusted greatly to run the betting zones. Harlow had a run in with a certain Billy Kimber who had originally intended to scare her off, but after seeing how pretty his competitor was, he gracefully decided to leave the feud for now since her deeds were perfectly legal and barely effected his business. However, she knew he'd return eventually, and then things would get ugly.

******

1917

3 years had passed in a flash, Harlow could barely believe that it had been that long since she'd seen her special six. Every month, she'd put a large chunk of money aside for each of them, realising that they'd need some income for when they returned, if they returned. She knew they would.

When she looked in the mirror one morning, she began to realise how much she'd changed. Her outfits were always perfect, due to her constant meetings with important clients and allies. Her eyes had that dark, powerful glint that Tommy used to have. He probably still does. When she wrapped her long jacket around her healthy figure, she no longer felt like a young girl, she was a woman; and a strong willed one at that.

Recently, Polly and Harlow had made an executive decision to buy a much larger office, instead of the girls having to make do with being cramped in the busy, sweaty betting shop all day long. Around the corner from the stables, there was a building for sale that was once a bank, but it had closed and the landlord was searching for a buyer. Once again, it was a perfect opportunity.

They placed an offer, which was accepted almost straight away due to their family name and the very next day, Harlow had the keys delivered to the shop. Ada, Polly and Harlow made their way over to the new office, leaving Lizzie in charge with the help of a few other women they'd hired.