Part 26

Lizzie gripped Harlow's hand tightly, unsure of how the ferocious woman was going to react to the returnees; either violently or terrified. "I'm going home." Ada announced nervously, pushing Michael out of the booth eagerly and the others followed in pursuit. Although her cousin didn't understand what was happening, he could sense the urgency and fear in her voice and grabbed their coats that lay discarded behind the girls.

It seemed that Arthur Shelby and Mark Winters had completely missed their daughters and unsurprisingly made their way to the bar, despite them being sat in prime view. The four of them tried to sneak past the pair without being spotted, yet unfortunately they weren't that lucky.

"Harlow? Ada? Is that you?" Mark questioned with a faint smirk on his face as he turned clutching a glass of whiskey that had been poured from him without question. Harlow froze in her tracks, feeling both fear and anger bubbling through her veins, but Michael grabbed her shoulder comfortingly and pulled her along after the other two anxious girls.

When they stepped out in the windy street, Harlow couldn't help feeling a wave of relief flow over her. Her hands had clammed up at the sight of the two hated men, and even though they had left almost fifteen years ago, the wounds still felt very raw. They walked back to the corner house in absolute silence, not even looking up as the metal clinked and fires hissed from the surrounding factories.

The house was uncharacteristically empty, meaning that Polly had most likely popped out to the market so she could feed the family in the coming days. Michael politely held the door open, allowing the girls to pass by with a small nod before collapsing into the sofa around the table with a sigh. Harlow rested her elbows firmly on the table, her head dropping into her hands in contemplation.

"Why are they back?" Ada asked, uncertainty dripping from her tone as her fingers tapped against the wooden worktop. Lizzie bit her fingernails anxiously as Michael leant against the wall silently, not wanting to intrude on the personal conversation.

"Should we tell the boys now?" Lizzie questioned, her head turning between her two shaken best friends thoughtfully. She knew they'd want to be alerted that their father had the arrogance to return to the place that he once called home.

"Liz, you take Michael and go to the offices. Tell them it's a family emergency." Harlow muttered under her breath, just audible enough for the duo to hear the instructions and quickly comply. Ada smiled at the pair as they left, not daring to speak a word.

Minutes later, an excited knock at the door made the pair flinch slightly, but as Harlow peered at the clock, she realised that the kids were due home from school at that very moment. She attempted to plaster a reassuring smile on her hair, running a hand through her thick, loose curls before sauntering to the door.

As usual, Olly came barrelling in, a small tennis ball clutched in his hands as he panted for breath. Edward was not far behind, chasing his younger brother into the room with a large grin on his face.

"Hey Aunt Ada! Hi Harlow!" Lily smiled, dragging not only her school bag, but the boy's too. The girl was much too kind for her own good. She dumped the down beside the wall with a thud as Ada gave her a small hug as she walked over.
"Where's Charlotte?" Harlow asked curiously, wondering which friend's house she'd been invited to this time. The young girl had an endless number of friends, nobody could keep track.

"She's just out there chatting. You know what she's like." Edward answered happily, leaning against the doorway, crossing his arms just like his father always did. Charlotte was exactly the same as Ada was when she was little; she could talk the ear off anyone and everyone. No matter what, the locals in Small Heath were always kind to the young girl, and never once had anybody discouraged her bubbly nature; most likely due to her infamous surname.