Part 30

Initially, Polly was ready to put a bullet in her nephew's head for taking up Michael's offer, but after a few tense conversations they came to some kind of agreement. Harlow wasn't certain of their arrangement, and she didn't really care. As long as Michael was safe and grounded, everything would be alright.

She desperately tried to push business to the back of her mind, and instead she focused on her brother's wedding. It was harder said than done, but Harlow was getting there.

"I'm getting married tomorrow!" Lizzie squealed excitedly as Ada, Harlow, Rose and herself wandered down towards the florist to check that the final preparations were in hand. Harlow smiled, watching the enthusiasm on her friends faces as they turned the corner opposite the small, beautifully scented building.

There were flowers as far as the eye could see, Ada felt like she was in a dream as she sniffed the blooming lilies and tulips that spurted decoratively from tall vases. They rarely bought flowers, as every time they did, somehow the vase would be knocked over and smashed, courtesy of one of the boys. Only one vase remained, and Polly locked it away safely, only bringing it out when she could constantly survey it.

As Lizzie went to verify her order, Rose took a poised stance beside Harlow, sending her a small smile as she glanced her way.

The well-known female trio had fondly invited John's fiancé to join them on their errands, as the summer holidays were in full swing and she could finally take a break from working. The four had grown closer, and Rose fit in perfectly. She was kind and shy like Lizzie, yet sometimes friendly and chatty like Ada, but always observant and intelligent like Harlow.

That's why Harlow couldn't help but let out a small giggle as Rose sneakily passed a beautiful, blue azalea to her with a knowing grin, "Happy birthday." She whispered warmly, before being beckoned over by Ada who was attempting to match the flowers to the colour of her dress.

Since the wedding was the following day and business was booming, Harlow thought that nobody had remembered her birthday, and she didn't mind in the slightest. The brunette was never one for birthdays, but the small token from her new friend made her feel warm inside.

It wasn't long before the quartet sauntered between the bakery, the boutique, the bank for Arthur who somehow always found a different excuse so he never had to go himself, the market and finally the café, which was due to close, but remained open as the owner saw who the four hungry stragglers were.

The sky was starting to darken as the hours ticked by, but the girls happily conversed about tomorrow for a while before finally calling it a day. Leaving behind some money for their scones, they grabbed their multiple belongings and stepped out into the pleasant street.

For once it was empty, and relatively warm for a Birmingham evening and the walk was quiet, despite Ada fondling around with her bags. "I've left my new hat!" The Shelby groaned, realising the missing accessory. The group turned to head back, but she soon stopped them, "Just wait here, I'll run back and grab it."

Harlow nodded and took the other bags, watching Ada slip through the alley back to the café. Lizzie leant against a wall, peering over to the newest member with a smile, "So, when are you and John having the ceremony?"

Rose smiled at the mention of it, a faint blush running to her cheeks, "Sometime in the next few months I would imagine." It was strange for Harlow to think that John was getting married again, he always seemed too much of a flirt to settle down. It would do him good though, the kids needed a sense of stability, and it was clear to say that Small Heath didn't offer much of that.

A small breeze disrupted the pleasant weather, and the girl had to pull their jackets tighter around their shoulders to keep warm. An aura of peace settled around them, until a startling scream came from down the alley. Harlow recognised it instantly to be Ada and set off in a run towards the sound. Clear footsteps echoed behind her, signifying that Rose and Lizzie were bravely following her into the face of danger.

"Get the fuck off me!" Ada growled as two men cornered her in the start of the alley. One had grabbed her thin arm tightly, more than likely leaving a harsh bruise that would easily show on the wedding photos. She didn't recognise the two attackers, meaning that they were new. Usually she'd be completely safe in her town, nobody dared to touch the only Shelby sister.

"We're just having a bit of fun." The taller figure laughed, shoving her against the wall roughly causing her to scream in shock. He held her sternly, leaning his face in close, giving her the perfect opportunity to headbutt him, sending him swearing and gripping his nose anxiously.

Ada smirked proudly, before receiving a hard punch to the face from his friend, causing her to stagger slightly against the wall in agony. Another punch was sent to her ribs and she doubled over in pain, hardly recognising the familiar voices which echoed down the alley.

Harlow shoved the man who had hunched over into the wall where he hit his head weakly. Instead, she launched herself at the standing attacker, her fist inflicting an extreme punch on his nose. Meanwhile, Rose and Lizzie rushed over to Ada as Harlow defended her friend.

The man attempted to fight back, but he felt dazed and light-headed. He failed to noticed the metal bar that Harlow grabbed from the ground before she swung it against his head with no sign of hesitation. She wasn't sure if he was dead or just unconscious, but his body crumpled to the ground in a heap.

The other man had somehow regained some balance and harshly grabbed Rose unexpectedly around the waist, causing her to convert from a caring friend to a strong fighter. She stamped on his foot heavily, elbowing him backwards before sending a punch to his chin, just as John had taught her. "Rose!"

Harlow chucked her the piece of metal just as the man came back for round two. Alternatively, he got a hard hit to the head and followed his friend to the floor. The pair stood, panting heavily for a moment as Lizzie wrapped an arm around Ada's shoulders, helping her along despite the pain on her nose and ribs.

"Come on," Harlow retrieved the metal bar which couldn't be left as evidence and then reached out for Rose who stared at the two sleeping men in alarm. She wasn't like Harlow, Rose didn't fight back, she had never once inflicted harm upon anyone, and the thought alone scared her to death. What would John think of her?

"Let's go." Harlow ordered gently, wrapping an arm around the blonde, purposely blocking her view of the bloodied mess on the ground. Rose was as fragile as a flower, and the crimson petals were threatening to fall at any second.