Chapter 37

#NewClassicRTMC

Chapter 37
Family

In deep silence, I dug my nails into the strap of my crossbody bag and bit my lower lip hard that I felt a taste of metal from my own blood. My heart was as heavy as my breathing. Pain with a mixture of nervousness filled my chest.

It was very suffocating. My hands began to tremble when we were already nearing the meeting place.

Just like what I wanted, Ike booked us a flight to Cebu. We flew from Palawan the day after we found out my father's whereabouts.

Hindi ako nakapagpaalam nang mabuti kay Auntie Divina. I was afraid that she might not let me go if I told I was meeting my father. Ang sabi ko na lang ay magbabakasyon kami sandali ni Ike sa Cebu. She didn't mind because I was going to be with Ike after all.

Ilang sandali pa ay tumigil na ang sasakyan. Nanatiling bagsak ang aking tingin sa bag na nakapatong sa aking mga hita. Pakiramdam ko ay hindi ko kayang iangat ang aking mga mata sa paligid.

"Aleena..."

I swallowed the lump in my throat when Ike called for my attention. I tried not to look at him. Mas dumiin ang pagkagat ko sa aking ibabang labi. But then, suddenly, he reached out for my hand. The trembling of my hands was put into a stop. His warmth washed over my fears.

I lifted my gaze to find him staring at me. And just by looking in his eyes, his concern wrapped me like a warm blanket. It calmed my strained nerves.

"Let's go now..." he encouraged me. "I'll be with you. Don't worry, okay?"

Tipid akong tumango at pinilit ang sarili na ngumiti.

Binitiwan ni Ike ang aking kamay upang maunang lumabas. Mabilis siyang nakaikot sa aking gawi upang pagbuksan ako ng pintuan. He held my hand again as I went out of the car and didn't let go anymore.

We walked towards an SUV parked in the same area. A middle-aged woman gracefully got out from the back seat of the car. My breath hitched when I saw her.

Mas hinigpitan ni Ike ang paghawak sa aking kamay habang papalapit kami nang papalapit. Tumigil lamang kami nang isang metro na lang ang layo sa isa't isa.

"Mrs. Amanda Imson?" Ike stretched out his hand.

Tumango ang babae at tinanggal ang suot na shades bago tinanggap ang kamay ni Ike. "You're Ike Rolloque, right? The one who called me last night?"

"Yes po," Ike replied right away and glanced at me. "And this is Aleena Caringal, my girlfriend."

Nalipat ang tingin sa akin ni Mrs. Imson. Her lips slightly parted when her eyes met mine. It seemed like she had a thousand words to say but she chose to purse her lips and averted her gaze. Mabilis niyang pinunasan ang ilalim ng kanyang mga mata at inayos ang pagdadala sa sarili.

"Follow me," she simply said and walked off.

Nilingon akong muli ni Ike. He renewed the way his hand was holding mine before we followed her.

Dire-diretso ang lakad ni Mrs. Imson. Ni hindi niya kami nilingon upang makasigurado kung nakasunod kami.

Each second passed while we were walking, my steps were getting heavier and heavier. It felt like I was walking on a thick mud. I almost couldn't lift my feet, especially when Mrs. Imson stopped and faced a mausoleum.

She searched for the keys inside her bag and opened the lock. Maingat niyang itinulak ang pintuan. Nilingon niya kami at inayang pumasok bago nagpatuloy sa loob.

Ike was about to follow her immediately when I stopped him. I tightly gripped on his arm while holding his hand at the same time. I took deep breaths to compose myself.