14. Questions and comprehension

"So, then you would have a plan as what we could start with?"

Kristoff had met Kai in the library, after he had returned from the stable in the early morning. He felt bound not to prolong the necessary tutorial.

"I think that some knowledge about the kingdom's history respectively royal affairs for that matter would give you some sort of insight of why certain things are done today the way it is. And then, I assume that of all representing tasks, the supervision of the guilds' union might be a part that you can associate best with for a start?"

"That sounds good to me. At least I know what guild means," Kristoff grinned and took a deep breath, "as for history, well I guess you might be right. I'm grateful for any advice as to take a start, you know." Then he shook his head and sighed, "I can't believe I'm sitting here with you, discussing such a thing. But then, after Anna having me explained more about it, last night, in fact my interests grow in some way. And you think, I will be able to get that all in?"

Kai smiled and heaved his shoulders and then pointed out, "I ask you my Lord, would you consider, in case I'd ask you, to teach me how to harvest ice?"

Kristoff looked at Kai, with a barely notable tracing his eyes briefly along the servant's body shape. He curled his lips, letting out a long breath and considering a polite answer. Kai noticed very well and added grimacing, "after I'd lost some weight, that is."

Kristoff apologised, he didn't mean to be insulting. Of course, Kai could learn that work, only that it he needed to know that it was hard physical labour.

"Yes, it would be. And what would you start with to show me? Would you send me out on the icy platform saying, 'there you go, take the tool, and go ahead. Bye. See you later'. Would you?"

"No! Of course not. The first thing you must know is all about safety. It's dangerous out there. The handling of the tools is one thing. But you need to know what you're doing and to watch out. Therefore, you need to be guided and instructed for some time." Kristoff was in his element. He could talk about his ice profession all day long.

Kai smiled and was happy to have hit the intended nerve. "Yes, of course. And that's why I would not just hand you a book, saying 'there you go. Read it and then act on it'. This would not work, would it? We take it step by step. If you are fine with my suggestion, that I've mentioned before, I will see to it that you get the necessary lessons. And then, we can go on from that. Besides, I promise you, learning from history holds some fascinating facts about ancestors of old times, who were at times crazy, weird, or disastrous. And then still, they belong to our history."

"You mean I find myself in good company?"

Kai's eyes sprang wide, "no, of course not! I'm sorry, that's not what I meant!"

Kristoff laughed out loud, "I was kidding! But thanks for your affirmation!"

***

Anna came along the hallway when she heard jovial men's laughter, apparently out of the library. That was a nice sound for such early hours. Coming closer she recognised the voices, though she couldn't make out the words exactly. Something about history and weird kings and conquerors. She stepped up to the door, knocked slightly and entered. The sight was a truly a surprise and she just stood, staring.

Kristoff sat with his back towards her and when he noticed Kai's respectful getting up and greeting the princess, he turned and smiled. He got up and went over to Anna, who would look between him and Kai.

"Good morning, Anna. How are you?"

"Fine, thank you. And I assume you two are having a jolly time?" She chuckled and took his hand.