24. Wonderful world

Anna hadn't really slept, or at least she couldn't tell whether she had been dozing or waking. The excitement had overwhelmed her, but in a content and happy way.

When she opened her eyes, she smiled to herself. She felt like cocooned up, the way she was wrapped within Kristoff's arms beneath the snuggly blanket. The warm air, the bubbling waters, and the steady breathing of her man's chest, with his heart beating soothingly. It was all so calming and cosy. She closed her eyes again, taking in the moment.

But then, unfortunately she would have to get up, for nature called. She grimaced at the thought. It was still dark outside, and clearly cold. Surely, she could wait a bit. It was just so cosy.

No, she couldn't. But she would hurry up to get back immediately. So, Anna started to untangle herself out of the embrace and quietly slip out from underneath the blankets. He grumbled and then turned.

The young woman fumbled for her warm nightgown beside her.

It must have been still early morning. In the east some faint light could be made out. The fjord to the west laid still pitch black, and the mountains that rose by its side appeared like dark lurking giants. The night sky was clear and the air chilly and breath cutting. It was not a moment to linger too long.

When Anna returned, she hunched to caress Sven's neck, who lay still sleeping soundly near the entrance. He was a dear, the reindeer.

They would soon have to get up, so she hurried back quickly for some more minutes of cosy retirement.

Once she had tossed off her shoes, she crawled back into her bedroll, snuggling into the blanket. A short little morning doze. Carefully, Anna reached out and laid her arm around Kristoff's waist and slide herself a bit closer to him.

Utterly content, she dreamingly mused about last night. Secretly she thanked Bulda again for her advices, that have helped her to a better understanding of what was going on. Then, Anna realised there had been not one moment of shame or confusion, for either of them. They had cherished each other, and Kristoff had treated her gentle and with great care. She had felt loved and appreciated, and then she had tried to return her affection the best she could.

Anna chuckled quietly to herself. Routine would come and then, surely their handling would become less awkward and restrained. The thought made her smile.

Kristoff stirred and turned over to face her, "good morning, my beauty. Have you been up already?"

"Yes, I had to. But it was so cold, and I could definitely use some warming," she mumbled with a smirk, sliding still a bit closer.

Kristoff grinned, and with a sigh nuzzled into her.

"Your wish is my command."

***

The morning light would peer in over the mountain tops and along the pastures. The fjord laid still dark, but less gloomy than still an hour ago.

Kristoff had prepared their morning coffee and some breakfast, while Anna would fold and pack their bedrolls and blankets. They would set off for their way back after their morning snack, but there had to be no haste. It wouldn't matter to arrive in the dark.

They would sit outside, to enjoy the view and the clear morning air, after the cave's damp atmosphere.

While extinguishing the fire and then getting Sven ready for the trip, Kristoff watched Anna as she moved on to store their bags and supplies back into the cart

He felt a sensation about her, that was not necessarily new to him, but with a kind of new dimension, he sensed. She had been wonderful, had made it easy for him to figure out his part. She had not cried nor whimpered but had smiled and encouraged him loving her. He felt simply grateful.