26. Enchanted day

Olaf sat on Sven's back, waiting together with the other animals, a bit remote to the people. The fountains had been decorated with flowers and candles, and some magical but not unknown ice ornaments engulfed the waters splashing.

Two chairs had been placed right before the stairs to the entrance-porch. A lovely wooden table, being placed towards the back of the front's porch a bit aside, served as alter. A purple cloth covered the prepared regalia.

Kai and Gerda stood at the entrance, overwatching the people arriving.

Gerda mused over how the young bride was doing. Anna had invited her to join in the morning preparations at Halima's place. But Gerda had insisted on staying back. She had been eager this morning to get their majesty's bedchamber ready with new sheets and blankets and reorganising the adjoint room for the couple's use. She had enjoyed in the task, that would mean a new beginning, she was excited about.

Kai had just returned from bringing down Prince Martin and lady Barbara, who would now sit next to Mathias in the second row, right to the aisle.

The prince was wondering about this special arrangement, taking place outside and with all the folks from around. It was unusual. More than anything else, he was thinking hard about who the queen would get married to. His wife had tried to sooth his curiosity, while she was just as agitated herself.

Mathias had taken his place next to the representant from the house of Westergaard, and Prince Martin couldn't restrain any longer and asked respectfully, if the General had the generosity of telling them more about the mysterious groom. Somebody he might know from abroad?

Mathias mused about leaving the man any longer in the dark, when he glanced to the entrance and then happily grinned. Leaning closer to the Prince, he would gesture to the front, getting the man in the loop, "of course, your majesty. Well, you see, there's the bridegroom."

Martin stretched his neck and scanned the front porch with his eyes. He could make out a young man with dark hair and traditional clothing, unfamiliar to him. Next to this stranger there stood a tall blond man, with creamed coloured shirt and noble stitched green vest. He recognised the young lord, who stood talking to the other and then stepped down the short stairs to talk to an old woman with same clothing, like the other man's. But the Prince couldn't make out a bridegroom in royal suit. Leaning closer to the General, still confused, he inquired once more. Mathias would then help, "the young man in red and brown, that's the best-man."

Martin's heart started pounding wild and his face felt like blank, his pulse racing in his ears. He stared to the young lord, then to Mathias, pale and his voice husky. "I don't understand. Is he...?"

"Yes," Mathias said quietly, "you guessed correctly. This is our good friend, Lord Kristoff Bjorgman. The young man, who had brought the princess down from the mountains and had stayed ever since."

"But why would he marry the queen? I thought he cared deeply for the princess?"

Then, Mathias would tell the Prince of the Southern Islands about the changes, that had taken place two months ago and the queen today being no other than the former princess herself.

By then, Kristoff had greeted the bishop who would stand with him and Ryder, ready to step up onto the porch.

Lady Barbara was excited. That was all fascinating and she was happy to be here. To witness something, of what she might never get the chance again, ever.

***

Elsa had changed her dress with a floating move of her hand.

It was a cut similar to the Northuldra dress style, but dark green like Anna's velvet jacket and of fine iced material. The sash around her waist of creamy colour, would float gracefully with her moves. Her hair fell in one braid over her left shoulder, like she used to wear it back in Arendelle.