27. Treasured moments

Walking down the aisle towards the gates brought a prickling excitement to the young couple.

For one, the ceremony was over, and then they would be met by friendly faces and whispered cheers of delight by those standing close by their way. It was kind of enchanting.

But then, they hadn't expected what awaited them when the gates opened for their exiting.

Along the bridge towards the harbour district, they stood. A good dozen ice-harvesters from around Arendelle and surroundings, Kristoff's former working companions, holding up arcs of ice, that were ornamented with carved crocus flowers along the front sides. It looked first sight like they were holding ice-flowers, bound together by a white band.

Kristoff and Anna halted, mouth agape in disbelief, while the men from the mountains cheered to their companion of the past, now scaled high above them. They wouldn't mind. In the contrary. It wasn't every day that one of their kind would be crowned king.

Long live their king!

The newlyweds moved on, with slow pace, while Kristoff greeted them one by one, completely taken aback by the surprise. Anna couldn't help but stare, marvelling at the beautiful espalier. The rest of the guests followed and lots of "Oh's and Ah's" could be heard throughout the trail behind the royal couple.

They went on to the sculpture-pedestal at towns square, where they would stand for a while, for compliments and congratulations' sake.

***

Martin had been moved if not shaken, to say the least.

First, the sort of shock when he had recognised who was awaiting the bride, then Elsa, and finally the bride herself. The whole sermon and the ceremonial parts had been dazzling. Elsa's contribution about her mother's dream. To him, it had been almost too much to bear, to take in. The wedding part had been wonderful of course. But then, a coronation to create a co-regency! The Prince wished he could have been informed about the involved ceremonies before, just to be more prepared for the emotions that had over rushed him along this morning. His wife was better qualified, to handling such dilemmas. Barbara had been delighted. He had very well noticed her gasping, little yelps of joy and pressing her hands to her heart, as she was following the scenes with all her senses.

Now they were meant to approache the young couple. What to say? He could not think straight. Too many thoughts spiralled through his mind. They waited behind the General, who was talking to the bridegroom, while Halima spoke to the bride. After them, it would be their turn.

When he had managed to express his gratitude and complimented their majesties on their marriage, they had been friendly, reluctant for good reason, but friendly.

The Prince felt relieved. Things had turned to the better, in no way he could have imagined before. And while his wife looked around, beaming at the wonderful, decorated town and stands of food and drinks, he could not help but take her hand and perk a kiss on her fingers.

He offered his arm and together they would walk around freely and enjoy the happiness of the day.

And while they strolled along the marketplace, the crown-prince of the Southern Islands was musing over his wife's friendship. After all what they had heard and seen this morning, was there not more to her? She had been his good companion for years, after their marriage had been a convenient arrangement by their parents. Could he learn to look at her the way they had heard of today, even at his age?

She was so worth it, he thought. Had she not just helped him out again a few minutes ago. And with that, a smile formed on his lips and he decided to give it a try.