22. Entrusted past

Another few moment of casual talk, discussing some trivial political matters, nothing too profound for today. The group of delegates was in good cheer and relished on the small private dining function with their queen and future joint monarch.

Cognac was about to be served, to round up the luncheon time, when Kai had entered and slowly approached Kristoff to call for the meeting with the Prince. He wouldn't mind, having a good reason to leave the table, though the conversation with the bishop sitting next to him had been a pleasant thing. The old man had been in good spirits and did the young man a good for relaxing matters.

But now, Kristoff would excuse himself. He turned and gestured to Anna that it was time to move on. She herself had been talking to Lord Ruud and explained why they had to go.

Kristoff had practiced before and was routines by now of how to proceed with formally leaving the room. The moment he had risen from his seat, he would take Annas chair to slightly pull it back while she was rising. They would nod into the round, thanking their guests for coming, then wished them a safe journey home. Anna would hook her arm in at Kristoff's right side and they made their way out.

Once out in the hallway, he let out a loud breath.

"That has been a long hour," Anna mused, "would you not like to get changed? I think you truly deserve the time."

What a great idea. Kristoff made his way up to his room and appreciated the few minutes of quiet. No talk, no questions, no concentrating on correct formulation and expressions. But then, it could have been worse. He would not think too much into what lay ahead of him from now on. First, he needed to listen to what Prince Martin wanted so desperately to tell him. And while he changed into his comfy white cotton shirt with dark red vest and black trousers, he wondered what urgency drove the man.

Kristoff hoped instinctively it wouldn't be so drastic like the last time the man had spoken. Anna would be listening again and he didn't want her to be confronted with another accusation about her person. But then, at least Mathias would stand with her again, too, so she wouldn't have to attend alone.

***

Prince Martin had taken his seat in the conference room like the last time.

Kai would wait near the door again, as Kristoff entered and approached the prince. It was an odd thing, to greet this man at the same place, where he had stood just a few hours ago, just to be interviewed himself. But time moved on and so he couldn't stand musing.

"I'm very grateful that you will hear me out." Martin had risen to his feet.

"You're welcome. Please have a seat. I'm curious about what you've got to tell me so urgently." Kristoff had sat down opposite, again.

The Prince sighed and placed his hands on the table, taking a deep breath to start.

"I assume the queen didn't have time yet to consider our letter. Well... Meanwhile I have been thinking about your question. You know, about Hans and... if he would regret his deed and all." The prince shifted on his chair and looked up at his opposite. Kristoff sat leaned back and gestured the man to go ahead, he would listen.

"You see," Martin continued quietly, "I feel obliged to tell you that I see it partly as my fault, that it had come so far in the first place."

"What do you mean, your fault?" Kristoff would ask in between.

"I don't know how much her majesty would know about our family. The contact to Arendelle had been on a constant and good working trading level since I can remember. But there was not much more. Then, 25 years ago, our youngest brother was born. Tragically, our mother would not' survive this birth. She died shortly after the boy was born. My father was devastated and he couldn't cope with the loss of his wife. You must know, our mother was a wonderful person. She had been the sunlight in our father's life. He had fought periods of depression every now and then, but Franziska was the one to lighten his dark days. The doctors had warned him, she shouldn't have another child. After all, he had twelve sons already, wouldn't that be enough? But then, the child was on the way and I remember our mother being happy, like she had been with all of us, until the exertion of childbirth had cost her last strength.