25. Buzzing preparations

The Sceptre and orb laid on the table before him.

It wasn't difficult, Anna had said.

It was terrifying, Elsa had said.

It was mad, he thought. What, if he dropped those precious pieces? The imagination of the rolling orb down along the aisle, chased by giggling Olaf... A nightmare.

Elsa had told him about her fear of ice crawling along the symbols during the royal announcement. Back then, she must have been so terrified. Kristoff could feel with her. But now, things were different and there was good reason to look ahead.

He chuckled, thinking of Anna's suggestion he should imagine he held an ice pick and a snowball in his hands. Good idea. So, he reached for the golden items, balancing their weight in his hands. Not light, but not heavy neither.

"You look good!" Anna had entered and came closer, just to stand before him.

"Thanks for your advice, I think it will work." Kristoff moved his hand wrists to get the feeling of holding the regalia.

Anna chuckled and smiled, just to put a hand each to his wrists and place his hands into the correct angled position. She looked up at him, all serious, "it will take no minute."

"I feel awkward, Anna. With everyone watching."

"I know. Would this help?" Anna stepped to stand just a little behind his right side and then laid a hand to his shoulder. "That way, you would not be standing all alone."

He sighed and looked down at her, "not a minute. You're sure?"

"Yes." She squeezed his shoulder.

***

Kai stepped out of the guest room.

He was glad this was over. But of course, the message had been of good nature and the Prince and lady had been grateful of receiving the good news of the queen accepting the invitation. The awaiting had been a great ordeal, notably, but worth the patience.

Kai smiled to himself. Inviting the prince and Lady Barbara to the royal wedding had been pure delight to the old servant. Of course, the two guests were confused. Why had there been no notification of an engagement or whatsoever? And then, who would be the lucky man?

Naturally, they would ask. Kai had stated that in some ways Arendelle were not to be compared with other kingdoms. Besides, the queen and princess had not long ago returned from another journey, that had brought a great impact to them both. They might understand better, when attending the festivities.

Kai grinned at the thought of Lady Barbara's reaction. The woman was subtle and not to be fooled. She had asked if the young Lord, that her husband had told her about, was maybe to have anything to do with this?

He hadn't said much more, only what would make her think so. Without waiting for a reply, Kai had then left the room. The surprise would be thrilling, he was sure of it.

***

The small Northuldra group had arrived late Thursday evening.

Next to Yelena, Ryder and Honeymaren, there were Edina with her husband Tiro, and his brother Milo.

Having been quartered in the old appartements above the former stables would suit them perfectly. Not for all reindeers in the world would Yelena want to sleep in the castle. The old woman had thanked Anna for her considerate preparation of their lodging. A visit of Elsa's former home would be nice, though.