chap. 8

"You don't need a vision to be strong, huh?", Childe imitated the panting girl with a cheeky grin.

She groaned. "That wasn't a Hilichurl Camp, that was a whole City", she huffed and leaned herself on a tree.

Childe laughed amused and patted the females back. "Well, now we know who of us would win in a combat", he declared with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Who knows, maybe I have some sort of superpower", (y/n) rolled her eyes sarcastically while getting the dirt off her clothing.

On the way to the Winery, they encountered several Hilichurls, leading to a long fight.

Childe got away without any injuries, however (y/n) had bruises all over her arms. She didn't want to use her abilities in front of the Harbinger, which resulted in him protecting her most of the time.

A wooden house appeared in front of the duo, causing Childe to stop teasing (y/n) for a moment and carefully look around instead.

The house was surrounded by grape farms and a small lake nearby. Maids were chattering in front of the door.

"The Dawn Winery! We arrived earlier than expected", Childe said a little proud and pulled (y/n) with him. The girl growled in annoyance.

"Let's keep going. There's nothing to see here, Childe", (y/n) dragged the male away from the Winery, towards Mondstadt. "If you want to drink wine, there's a tavern in Mondstadt"

The Gingerhead turned out to be very annoying at times. He would always tease (y/n) about something and start to laugh out of nowhere.

The sad, caring male from this morning was gone. It felt like they were two different persons.

It was around 9pm when Mondstadt appeared in front of them. The stonewalls were tall and surprised Childe a little bit, since that was very different from Liyue.

More forests, less rocks, more green.

The Harbinger preferred Liyue, but didn't certainly dislike Mondstadt.

"Finally..", a small huff escaped the females lips as she ran her fingers through her soft hair, interrupting Childe's train of thoughts.

The Harbinger chuckled and took a closer look at the city in front of him. He wasn't able to see a lot, since most of it was covered by a gigantic wall.

The female hummed happily at the thought of seeing her friend Barbatos again.

He was a cheerful person, with a refreshing personality. Sometimes he was a little confusing, but she eventually got used to it.

At the sound of her joyful hum, Childe gave the girl a questioning look. He had never seen her genuinely happy before, so it caught his attention.

Blue eyes were burning holes into her, while they walked along the large lake.

The two of them walked in a comfortable silence, (y/n) secretly glad that Childe had stopped mocking her.

She admitted that he was fast and powerful in a fight for someone his age, but he wouldn't stand a chance in a real battle against her.

After this morning, (y/n) figured that his family's safety was his first priority. With the right words and a few illusions he would probably emotionally break down after fighting her.

She giggled to herself. 'That makes me sound so evil..'.

Many years have passed since she last used her abilities in such a cruel way.

"Ah.. we're here", Childe smiled and stuffed his hands into his pockets.

It was already dark when they arrived at the bridge which lead to the capital of Mondstadt. A small boy stood there and looked like he was talking to.. pigeons?

When Childe noticed the young boy, he quietly smiled to himself. He reminded him of Teucer.

(y/n) saw how the Fatui's gaze softened while looking at the small boy. She stared at his side profile for a moment before starting to walk towards the big gate, the male slowly following her.

The Harbinger booked a small apartment for the night. It had three rooms: two bedrooms and a living room with a kitchen.

He could have afforded something a lot better, but (y/n) insisted on renting a tiny place to stay, since they only plan on staying for a day or two.

She didn't mind sharing an apartment with the Harbinger, since she was going to spend the majority of her time in Mondstadt outside with the Anemo Archon anyway.

After settling in their new living place, the duo decided to walk around in the city for a while, although Childe was exhausted.

"It's almost like in Liyue Harbor. Someone who sells flowers, a blacksmith, the Adventurers Guild, a Restaurant..", Childe noticed while observing his surroundings.

The female laughed lightly.

"What did you expect? Mondstadt is just like any other city", she pointed out and gave the male a short smile.

Knights were stationed everywhere and always welcomed (y/n) and Childe to the city when they passed by.

Their clothing was quite different from how people in Mondstadt dressed, so it was easy to notice that they were not from Mondstadt.

Out of nowhere, a soft breeze striked the girls cheek, although there was no wind at all.

'Barbatos..'

"Childe, over there is the tavern I mentioned earlier. They have the best wine", she kindly informed the Gingerhead, while pointing to a bigger house.

"I will look for my friend now, he should be somewhere around here"

Childe wanted to say something, but the female interrupted him.

"Don't worry, I will find him on my own", (y/n) gave him a reassuring smile.

The Fatui nodded hesitantly before turning to the direction of the tavern. "Have fun, (y/n)".

A giggle escaped her lips. "You too".

The female hurried up the stairs to the Anemo-Archon-Statue with a little bit of excitement.

"Barbat-"

Somebody put his tiny hands over her eyes from behind and giggled happily.

"Guess, who?"