chap. 16

"My apologies if I startled you with my sudden visit, Xiao", Zhongli said and folded his hands behind his back. The Yaksha squinted his eyes and shook his head.

(y/n) silently leaned onto the railing of the Wangshu Inn and gazed at the Lanterns that were floating in the night sky.

The Geo Archon closed his eyes and kept quiet for a moment, before continuing.

"I have been thinking about my existence as the Geo Archon for a while now", he started, making Xiao tilt his head. Zhongli hummed peacefully and opened his golden eyes to stare at the sky.

"To make it short..what is my purpose for Liyue now? Do the people in this nation need me anymore?", (y/n) curiously peeked at him, her hair softly shining in the moonlight as she did so.

Xiao crossed his arms. "What do you want to say?"

Another sigh escaped the Archon's lips. "I wonder.. is Liyue ready to continue living without their Archon? I have considered many ways to reveal that answer, one better than the other. But in the end, I came to a logical conclusion"

Xiao passed (y/n) a short irritated look, while she squinted her eyes, silently guessing what Zhongli's next words will be.

"What if Rex Lapis suddenly died at the Rite of Parting? Of course, if it gets out of control I will handle the situation", he continued and finally locked eyes with (y/n).

The female turned away and hesitated, carefully thinking about her answer.

Xiao, on the other hand, didn't hesitate to show how much he disapproved the idea of the Archon. He coughed and started to speak.

"As a guardian of Liyue, I don't think that this will be a solution to the whole thing. As soon as their Archon will disappear, Liyue will break into chaos", he stated reassuringly and scowled.

Zhongli nodded and looked over to (y/n), waiting for her opinion on his idea.

She sighed and shrugged her shoulders, feeling Zhongli's piercing gaze through her body. "I don't know, honestly. As the goddess of illusions, I don't care what you are going to do"

She hesitated. "But as your friend (y/n).. you should do what is best for Liyue. Either way, what are you going to do with your gnosis?"

Xiao growled and scrunched his face.

"About that.. I want to make a contract with the Tsaritsa. I am quite surprised that you didn't notice anything about Barbatos, (y/n)", Zhongli added, causing the female to tilt her head in confusion.

Did something happen to him?

A deep hum escaped the Archon as he folded his arms. "His gnosis got taken away by the Fatui"

The girls eyes slightly widened, before she quickly blinked and shook her head.

"It did? Are you telling me that you want to give your Gnosis to the Fatui as well?"

Zhongli smiled and nodded, not surprised that she figured it out so soon.

"It is a private matter between the Tsaritsa and I", he continued and gave Xiao a calm smile as the Yaksha scoffed loudly.

"To the Fatui? Rex Lapis, I'm afraid that I don't understand, neither do I approve", he interrupted and felt chills running down his spine at the thought of the idea.

Zhongli nodded understandingly.

"Sometimes I really wonder what is going through your head", (y/n)'s irritated voice appeared. "Anyway, it's up to you. Though I don't agree on giving your Gnosis to the Tsaritsa"

Xiao and (y/n) exchanged another short glance, knowing that the Archon has already made his decision.

Zhongli sighed and chuckled quietly, asking himself what will happen in the next few days. Xiao, on the other hand, was terrified- no, scared- of the idea and nervously bit his lip.

The female next to him noticed and gently patted his shoulder, passing him a reassuring smile. Don't worry too much. Zhongli is very much capable of saving Liyue if it gets out of control.

The Yaksha huffed and forced himself to smile a little. "I don't support your actions— but I will always be on your side", he added quietly before dissolving into thin air.

(y/n) shrugged, her smile suddenly vanishing. "I will go now, Zhongli. Rethink your decision, and if you need me..", she paused and gave the Archon a short peek.

"..you know where to find me"

With those words she left, leaving Zhongli, who was lost in his own thoughts, behind.