chap. 35 - end

years passed

Someone once asked her: "What do you think is the cruelest thing in this world?"

"(y/n)!", at the call of her name, the female looked up from the floor and met familiar blue orbs. A warm smile rested on her face as the Gingerhead came closer, sunlight shining on his unique hair. "Childe.."

Exactly one hundred years have passed since the incidence.

Her gaze wandered over his body, closely observing every single detail of him while her heart filled with nostalgia.

She clearly remembered his lifeless body in her arms back then, completely covered in blood as every single breath of life left him.

Shivers ran down her spine at the memory, that she wasn't able to forget over the past years.

But the love she now held for him grew every day.

The Fatui still looked the same as before; his voice sounding refreshing and his face looking like one of a teenager.

The goddess averted her eyes back to the warm sunset, a sigh escaping her lips as she felt a light breeze striking her cheek.

Childe imitated her, softly humming as he felt his hairstrands being gently blown out of his face by the wind.

Her voice was only a small whisper, as she spoke up; causing the Harbinger to tilt his head in irritation.

"Tomorrow is the date of your death.."

She didn't expect him to answer; which he didn't. He just looked at her with the usual expression plastered on his face, not quite understanding what she meant.

The female turned away from the sunset, the memory of the sound of his loud laugh filling her senses.

Just then, Childe started to laugh joyfully.

(y/n) gently bit her lip, tears starting to form in her eyes as a sharp sting made her heart ache at the familiar noise that was burned into her memory.

She gulped, her soft hair falling over her face as she turned back to the illusion of Childe, who happily smiled at her.

She always knew the answer to his question.

She just didn't want to say it out loud.

The cruelest thing in this world?

The illusion of the male slowly dissolved, leaving small glistening particles that were carried away by the wind.

Immortality.