43: Melancholy

Levi's POV

"Nervous?" Levi asked. Eren had been sitting there beside him silently fiddling with his right earlobe for a while now.

"Nah" he replied and readjusted in the chair. "...a little maybe. I'm not exactly a fan of hospitals and clinics and I don't really know what to expect".

"Well it won't take long. They will want a few samples from us and then they'll likely do a quick physical examination" Levi explained.

"Doesn't sound too bad, I suppose".

"They're good at what they're doing and it'll be over fast. Just make sure to be honest when you're talking to them. You might feel embarrassed talking about your sex life with a stranger, but whatever you tell them I can assure you they've heard worse".

"Okay..." he said and fell quiet for a moment before continuing. "Yeah, I think you're right about me by the way. I do tend to get embarrassed when it's serious... Guess you know me better than Armin".

"I know more sides of you than your friends do" Levi said, neither quite agreeing nor disagreeing with his statement. Eren just nodded in response.

"Do we go in together or one at a time?" he asked, changing the subject.

"Hmm... it's better if we go alone" Levi said. Going in to hear Eren give details on his previous partners would quite frankly not be the wisest choice right now. Although he had regained himself since earlier, his possessiveness might still come back again, especially now that they soon were about to be separated from each other for at least another week. Plus, being realistic he knew that having the other there might affect the level of honesty in their replies.

"Alright".

"Want me to go first?" Levi asked.

"Eh... nah, I better go first or I might actually have time to get nervous" Eren chuckled.

"Okay then" he replied with a small grin. "The first part will probably just be a short consultation with a doctor. It's for them to decide what things are relevant to test for and from where".

"From where?" Eren repeated wearing a funny, not too amused look.

"Well, it's not just around your crotch that you potentially could have an STI. Blow the wrong guy and you could end up infected in your mouth or throat, just as an example".

"Eww!" Eren burst out with a short, disgusted laugh.

"What? Did you skip sex ed?" Levi smirked.

"No!" Eren replied immediately. "...But to be honest I mostly just remember sexuality confusion from those classes".

"Is that so?"

"Yeah... I finally figured it out in late middle school, but didn't tell anyone until a couple of years later" Eren revealed.

"I see. Was it tough?" he asked.

"Ehh that's too long of a story to tell now" Eren replied. "But yeah, it was hard at times".

"I see. You did well" Levi replied and reached over to touch his back in an attempt to be supportive.

"Thanks" he said, looking a little embarrassed but happy. "So, when did you know?"

"Hmm... I always just kind of knew that I was gay without actually analyzing it. It wasn't something I thought about while growing up, you could even say that I was a late bloomer".

"Really? That's hard to imagine now".

"It's just my personality; I had other things to worry about, so I had no interest in concerning myself with sexuality back then" he explained and Eren nodded slowly. He then seemed to hesitate before asking the next question.