21: Getting under his skin

Levi's POV

Levi sat behind his desk impatiently tapping his pen against the surface. Good thing he had his own office or he probably would've annoyed the shit out of someone by now. His tapping was interrupted by someone opening the door in to his room.

"Finally!" he sighed as Hange Zoe happily entered with a bunch of papers in her hand. She stopped in her tracks and put her free hand to rest on her hip.

"Aww, grumpy are we?" she commented.

"Shut it and give me the damn papers" Levi groaned. He didn't have patience for any Hange-bullshit tonight. He was still at work and it was past 9 PM. What made matters worse was that just a short while ago he had found out that Eren at the moment was having trouble with a certain unprofessional hotel boy.

"Sure" Hange replied with a shrug and gave him the last papers that he had waited for to be able to finish for the day. "So what's going on, grumpy pants?"

"Help me finish up if you're gonna stay to hear the reply to that" Levi said.

"Hmm... well on a second thought, I'm not that curious" she said and made a teasing hand shrug.

"Well fuck off then."

"I'm kidding, kidding~!" she said and crashed down at the opposite side of his desk. Levi handed her a small stack of work. "You know, here I thought that I through Eren had saved everyone here from your wrath for quite a while! So what happened, has he dumped you already?" she asked as she started to go through the papers in front of her. Tsk, straightforward as usual.

"Certainly not" Levi said and couldn't help emphasizing the words a little before letting out a defeated sigh. "He just told me about something unfortunate."

"Woah! Does that mean that this is a worried frown that I see?" the woman asked, leaning forward to study his face closer. Levi's frown deepened and he leaned back slightly in the chair.

Truth was that it wasn't only the college party going wrong that had been bothering Levi lately. This was related to the part of him that he didn't really want to nurture. The part of him who wasn't too happy about the thought of Eren going around half-drunk somewhere with a load of just as half-drunk youngsters while he himself was far away. Whenever he really liked something this possessive side always started to emerge, and with it came even some controlling tendencies. This was what had made some earlier relationships of his fail. So to give Eren some time and space to process everything that had happened during the weekend he had decided to lay low for a few days and let Eren take most of the contacting initiatives. He really did need to spend a good fucking time at work now anyway, so he had buried himself in his work and in that way made sure to lay low.

But now it had been fucking day three without hearing a peep from him, only to find out that he was in trouble at some party because of last weekend's hotel boy showing up. What kind of ridiculous coincidence was that meeting anyway? Fucking hell, this was stressing him out. And because of some flaw in his fucking personality code, these kinds of things didn't make him worried, they just made him annoyed. That was supposedly just his way of handling certain problems and emotions - getting pissed off. Not particularly healthy, but at least he didn't get irrational, so he wasn't annoyed at Eren, just at - Jean was his name huh? - and the damn distance between them.

"Tsk, something of the sort I suppose" Levi finally admitted to her question.

"Amazing, I never thought I'd live to see it" she exclaimed happily as she relaxed again in her borrowed chair. "But hey, if he confides in you you must have done something right! Good job in not scaring him away!"