Chapter 28: BIRDBRAINED BITC-

I stared down the bird-faced boy as the countdown to our match started. It had long been established that neither of us would hold it against the other whatever the outcome. Dark shadow wanned and whipped in the pale light of the afternoon, waiting for the time to strike.

"BEGINNN!!!"

I wasted no time in flipping back, dodging the shadow's attack that left a small crater in the floor.

'...yeouch...'

This wasn't a fight either one of us wanted to drag out too long. One mistake would easily allow the other to take an iron clad grip on the reins.

I watched as dark shadow lurched back in preperation for another attack and I rolled to a side, quickly dusting myself off and pulling me back onto my feet. I proceeded to circle the mostly stationary boy, setting my plans into motion.

Now, for a quick science class. Japan, especially in this time of year, has a pretty low relative humidity level. This means a pretty low level of water vapour in the air. So in order to control said water, I would need to get much closer than my typical range of motion for a gas that is more plentiful, say nitrogen.

Thus bringing us back to why my ass, which hates cardio with a dying passion, is running laps around the arena. The more ground I cover, the more water I'm able to string along with me.

Slowly, a floating pool of water  gathered behind me, connected by a small trail of water that coiled around my wrist.

At this point, I'm sure Tokoyami had noticed what I was doing, thus sending dark shadow to attack the water ball but it was too late.

I screeched to a halt and mived my hands as though I were prying lift doors open, or trying to open Beelzebub's room door to see him changing. (Haha funny mobile ads go brrr)

The water ball scattered, coating every nearby surface. I made sure to keep contact with the liquid body, fingers pressed against the floor. Like this, I could ensure the water wouldn't absorb into whatever surface it had landed on. Concrete is pretty porous yknow?

Now you might be wondering why the hell I went to all the trouble, and cardio, to do this?

Well my child, you see water reflects light much better than matte concrete.

And what does dark shadow hate?

-

-

-

There we go!

Immediately, dark shadow shrunk to a quarter of his typical size, moving to hide in Tokoyami's robes. The boy sighed and raised a hand.

"I yield."

I heaved a sigh of relief and stood up, the water instantly absorbing into the floor. I could feel the heat that radiated off me having absorbed that much kinetic energy from the water.

Tokoyami strides over to me and we shake each other's hand.

"You did well," he muttered, the ghost of a smile on his beak. I grinned and tugged his hand to pull him into a side hug. "You did too! This whole setup was stacked against dark shadow fron the start," I sigh as I pull him towards the exit. He slowly relaxed into my hold, albeit with a barrage of complaints from dark shadow.

"But we should definitely spar again next time! I can learn gow to be more versatile with my quirk and you can train on controlling dark shadow," I suggest as we pass a room. "Win win!" I grin and he shoots a feint smile back.

"I'd be ha-"

-

-

-

-

*BANG!!!*

-

-

-

The door beside us slams open and dark shadow and I let out a synchronised squeak.

-

-

-

"YOU DAMN HEDGEHOG! YOU SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!!" I gasped as the jolt made me tear away from Tokoyami.

"HAH?! THE HELL YOU-"

He pauses and glances between us both.

"Yeah, you missed my match bozo," I stick out my tongue, thinking that the look he was giving me was because his dumbass forgot to scout his competition. The match me and Tokoyami had did decide who would face against the pomeranian himself afterall.

He shoots me a ruby eyed glare, a strange flicker of something in his gaze before he clicked his tongue. He turned without another word and sulked down the hall, probably to go terrify some other student with his loud door banging concert.

"What's with him..." I mutter to myself before turning back to Tokoyami.

"So, what were you say-

-

-

-IIIING??!???"

I let out an unholy screech as a firm grip wraps around my wrist and am dragged backwards down the hall, my render distance soon no longer far enough to see Tokoyami's figure.

"What was that for?!" I groan, ripping my hand out of the angsty boy's grasp.

He spun back and I flinched in preperation for him to lash out...

-

-

-

But he didn't...?

-

-

"You." He muttered and I looked up to lock eyes with him.

Bad idea.

I felt those blood red eyes swimming with a simmering rage that seemed to grab my heart by the neck and hold it there. Magma churned behind the malice.

If looks could kill...

"Why are you-"

"YOU'D BETTER COME AT ME WITH EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT! ENOUGH OF YOUR HALF-ASSED SHIT!" He hollered and I think for a second there my hearing went poof. (Damn, when I said break me I meant blow my back out not my eardrums-)

"I'll crush you at your best then I'll take the top spot!" He challenged, fuming past me, shoulder roughly shoving into me.

-

-

-

'at least he had the decency to issue a declaration of war properly...unlike someone...'

I rolled my eyes and moved to walk back to my assigned waiting room.

"I'LL BE THE ONE IN FIRST PLACE!" A scream echoed from down the hall.

I paused in my steps.

-

-

-

"...I don't doubt that..."