Chapter 35: Hoe-su

"WHY ARE YOU HERE-!?" I yelled at the bird-brained, feathery fiend.

Why are you here indeed, for a dude who didnt come into the main plot till like a season later he had a lot of gall-

Oh shit, not the fourth wall again...

"Aww, can't I visit my lovely turtledove during their training...?" He pouted at me as though I was the flaming giant currently dragging him away by the collar.

It was currently around 7 in the evening. For the last few hours we'd been doing some physical and quirk training. Hate to admit it but the flaming behemoth had a good workout routine. It seemed he specifically focused on Todoroki's left side which was, quite understandably, lacking in finesse as compared to his right. As for me, well he made damn sure that I would be able to handle fire in the future.

While I was unable to, and probably will never be able to, truly manipulate fire - I mean duh I can't touch it - I was able to better control the air around it. I quickly learnt that redirecting the air, and thus the fire, was far easier than forcefully putting it out as I did before.

There was also a technique to control the fire, sending it in one direction without using my quirk the entire time. It would sustain itself for a while.

(Nerdy alert, feel free to skip the paragraph) By focusing on controlling nitrogen molecules mostly unaffected by fire, I'd be able to control the fire. This involved just causing a loop-shaped movement in the nitrogen which, even after stopping my quirk, would continue for a good while on its own as the heat helped the cycle continue. The heated air rose above the fire, traveled in the loop I'd set and cool and sank, traveling back to repeat the cycle. This, compared to what I did before, which was absorbing all the kinetic energy in the oxygen molecules to remove the fuel for the flames, was FAR easier. (Nerd time over)

The only catch was that I had to keep in mind that the direction of the flames would be in an opposite direction of how I directed the air. However, the longevity of it made it perfect for rescue situations.

As the two proheros argued like children, me and Todoroki kept our own conversation.

"How do you know him?" He asked, clearly refering to the dumb bird that wouldn't leave me alone. I laugh. "Its a long story," but it seemed he wasn"t satisfied with just that.

"Well he's technically my guardian, since I don't know who my parents are," a good enough explanation for now seeing as I'd rather not dive into the whole amnesia thing.

The boy didn't know why but upon our main character saying that, he felt a small weight lift from his chest.

"So that's why he calls you turtledove..." He mutters softly and I laugh in response. "Yeah, he always comes up with those stupid nicknames," I turn back to the feathered hero. "But... he's the real deal, the best mentor I could ask for..."

"Then why didn't you go to his agency?" He asks and I'm forced to relive the memory of his relentless begging. "He practically pleaded me to take up Endeavor's offer..."

"Not that I knew it was FABRICATED!" I yell pointedly at the hero who merely sniffles in his proccess of walking towards me.

"Well, its been nice seeing my little dove but I'm afraid I can't stay long," he wiped invisible tears from his eyes and I roll mine. "Hey, Candycane-kun~ take care of my dove for me?" He muses to Todoroki as he throws an arm over my shoulder and squishes my cheek to his face. The precious icyhot boy actually nods in response to the dumb bird's words.

"Let go you overgrown bird!" I scold, latching onto a piece of his arm and twisting it between my fingers.

"Ow ow OW OKOK I GET ITTT!!!" He whined and I let go, satisfied.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow yadayada, LEAVE!" I yell, not wanting him to mess up my internship more than it already was. He pouted, spouting more mellow dramatic nonsense before flying off.

I sigh, now almost completely exhausted as Todoroki pats a hand on my back.

I hear an annoyed grunt from the remaining prohero before he clears his throat, demanding our attention. "Let's get on with the patrol, we are late enough as it is," he states firmly before stomping off, us following a few paces behind him.

We did a few basic things, catching a thug here and there, stopping a few minor accidents. Nothing major.

"Hmm," I glance around the area as Todoroki jogs over from helping a lady back to her feet.

"It's pretty quiet isn't it...?"

-

-

-

Then,

All hell broke loose.

"GOD FUCKING DAMN IT," I yell as I dodge the next nomu that swooped it, making it three total.

I leap out of the way and a wave of flames chase the nomu off my tail. "Thanks En-" I pause at the heterochromatic eyes that stare back at me. "Shouto, thanks," I grin before turning back to the battle.

I see the nomu's being chased by Endeavor as he pushes them away from downtown, into a more secluded part of town to minimise damages. I make a move to follow but Todoroki grabs my arm.

"What's up-?"

He brings a phone up to my eyes.

-

-

-

'Midoriya's location?'