Chapter 23: this is all out warrr~ they got us outnumbered~

Today.

The festival was today.

I reached the dressing room a little later than I'd liked but I was still on time.

I greeted Kirishima and Kaminari as I walked over. The class was as lively as ever, the banter unceasing. I guess everyone was pretty stoked for the festival.

"Hey, Ryo, aren't we supposed to only wear our PE uniform today?" Kirishima asked as I pulled out the boots of my hero outfit.

"Oh this," I laugh awkwardly. "Well if I overuse my Quirk my body tends to use up all of my energy and I'll end up passing out," I explain as I slip the boots on. "These light emmiting bands help regulate it so that I don't end up dying or something," It sounded bad but to be fair I've never actually gone even close to that far.

It's true that I could very well die if I overused my Quirk. If I were to absorb too much energy my cells wouldn't be able to stand all of that and all be ripped apart, cytoplasm and nuclei mercilessly split. If I were to give out too much energy then well, my body would cease to function and I'd effectively die of starvation.

But I'd never gone anywhere close to that before.

The one time I'd passed out was just a fluke.

"I don't really need it but H- my guardian went through the trouble of submitting a permission slip so I may as well use them." They nod and ask a couple more questions about my quirk which I kind of understood why they were so curious.

I mean it was common knowledge by now that despite being a reccomendation student that I'd never so much as seen the exam the other reccomendation students had to take to get in. I had my application personally vouched for by the government so it made sense why people would be curious about my Quirk.

"Everyone get ready!" We all turned to face Iida who had just barged into the room. "We will be entering the arena soon!"

The buzz from earlier returned with a vengeance as everyone hurried to calm their nerves with different methods.

"Midoriya," I recognized that buttery smooth voice anywhere. I searched the room and sure enough I found Todoroki standing before Midoriya. It was clear the broccoli boy was pretty on edge.

"From an objective standpoint I think it's fairly clear that I'm stronger than you," he began and already I had to stifle a laugh. This boy really had no filter. "However, All Might has his eye on you doesn't he?" Seems like he got him there.

'I knew he suspected something going on with Midoriya but I sure didn't expect him to act on it...'

"I'm going to beat you..." He muttered firmly.

They exchanged pretty intense stares when, to my surprise, Todoroki turned to look at me.

No words were uttered but his challenge was perfectly clear.

'well then, who am I to turn down that challenge?'

Kaminari whistled beside me. "What's with all these declarations of war recently...?"

"I'll say," Kirishima sighed as he walked over to Todoroki and placed a hand on his shoulder. "What's the big deal? Why you picking a fight all of a sudden? And right before we get started too."

Todoroki roughly shoved his hand off.

"We're not here to be each other's friends," ah... There he is... Emo-roki. "Don't forget this isn't a team effort." He walked away, headed towards the door as the class remained pindrop silent.

-

-

-

"Wait a sec Todoroki..."

'Oh SHIT SOMEONE HAND ME SOME POPCORN BISH, THE SHOW IS STARTIN!!!'

"I don't know why you feel the need to tell me you'll beat me and yeah, you are better than me." I'm waiting for a "but" here... "In fact you probably have more potential than anyone in the hero course, it's why you go in so easily."

'...that kinda hurted tho...'

"Midoriya, maybe you're being a little hard on yourself-" my darling shark's words were cut off.

"No, he's right you guys... All the other courses, their coming at us with everything they've got." He dropped his hands, his body language now strangely radiating a soft confidence.

"We're all going to have to fight to stand..." He looked up, a look of determination I'd never seen cross his face before.

"And I'll be aiming for the top too."

'hmm? Must be nice...'

I feel a smile play at my lips but the feeling in my chest is heavy.

'to not know what the future holds... To have to give 100% at all times to make it...'

I knew this competition meant more to everyone else at this school than it did to me.

-

-

-

After all no matter what I did.

-

-

No matter what I'd accomplish.

-

-

-

Nothing in my future would change.
___________

"HEY! MAKE SOME NOISE EVERYBODY!" As if Present Mic's voice wasn't obnoxious enough, the crowd cheered and screamed liked they'd never be able to talk again.

We continued walking down the hallway to the main stage as the sound of the audience and Present Mic's announcing grew louder. The jubilant fanfare of brass instruments welcomed us as we proudly took our first few steps into the arena.

"Present Mic sure did talk us up a lot, I'm getting kinda nervous. How you guys feeling?" Kirishima asked as the two of us flanked a pretty fired up Bakugou. "I'm not worried, makes me want to win this thing even more." I grin at the very Bakugou response. "Of course not, you almost have an equal amount of people who hate your guts cause of that stunt you pulled the other day." I ignored the exasperated look from Kirishima which was telling me to stop poking Bakugou. "Bakugou's skin is thicker than my damn accent."

"THE HELL DID YOU SAY BUMPKIN?!" He set off a few tiny sparks.

"Never said it was a bad thing~" I shrug and he gives me one last glare before facing forwards again.

"I swear you have a death wish..." Kirishima muttered under his breath and I just laughed in response.

"Yeah... maybe..."

"Now the introductory speech!" Midnight announced, waving some kind of whip around. 'the lady literally known as the "R-rated hero"... IS A DAMN TEACHER?!?!?!?!'

"Uh someone should talk to Miss Midnight about what she's wearing..." Kirishima muttered apprehensicely as Kaminari nodded. "yeah, that costume should come with a warning..."

'somehow I don't think Kaminari means that in the way Kirishima does...'

"Is attire like that even appropriate for a high school?" Tokoyami shook his head and I just shrugged.

I mean what could I say?

I was the bitch with the exposed hipbones on my hero costume.

"SILENCE EVERYONE!" she yelled, waving that weird whip downwards. "And for the student pledge, Bakugou Katsuki!"

-

-

-

'RIP 1A, was nice knowing y'all, peace.'