iii.

| 08:17 am

Atlantis, a fabled island up in the human world that was believed to sank beneath the sea ㅡ is now the home of aquatic creatures, mermaids to be specific. a place of home, comfort and security. crystalized high and tall structures around the place, lively relationships between merfolks and enviroment- it truly is an ideal home.

as the myth tells, each continents have a precious gem on their own, each is guarded by creature like taeyong. and now, the news of the stolen asian pearl was spread through the palace hence, he was called back here.

taeyong flinches on his seat the moment a palm was harshly slammed against the desk, “hyung i told y

“for hundred years, you've secured the pearl just well. and one night - one fucking night and youtaeyong's friend paused on his rant to let out a frustrated groan, head thrown back before he collects himself by breathing deeply “you had one job.. and you lost the pearl.” the forced smile in his friend's lips are causing him to actually shiver in fear, lowering his head down. “and why did that happen?” baekhyun, the name of taeyong's friend, tried to talk through the situation calmly though he's near to flipping whatever his hands grips onto.

“i told you! he kicked me in the face so hard! see?” taeyong exclaims, angling his face to show the invisible bruise on his face.

baekhyun's expression then turned into a blank one, “you're not human, taeyong. you cant feel pain.” that put taeyong to his place again, realizing that what his friend just said is right.

“but still!! i was caught off guard when he kicked me in the face so my grip on his ankle slipped. and i didnt know he was a fast swimmer!” taeyong pouts, trying to get his way out of his friend's wrath for losing something so valuable. i mean, he's not going to run from his duty. he's willing to get the pearl back, but he's not ready to hear his friend's rants and lectures.

plus, he cant just tell his friend that the reason why he was too slow on swimming after the guy was because he was shocked by the guy's angelic feature and not because he got kicked in the face.

“baek, give the kid a break.” his other friend, taemin, butts in as he tries to calm baekhyun. “im sure taeyong did his best in guarding the pearl and none of this is done in purpose. and, he said he's sorry.”

“you know what will happen once the pearl goes missing, right?” jongin, their other friend who was sitting quietly in the corner since their 'talk' started, asked after sighing deeply.

when he received the duty of becoming the guardian of the pearl, taeyong already knew what his role is. with a great duty like this, comes a bigger responsibility. and now that the pearl is in the possession of a human, he'd be facing the consequences of his careless action.

nodding in defeat, taeyong silently acknowledges that he's willing to face whatever punishment that would be thrown at him.

“go to the human world, taeyong.”

okay, that wasnt the punishment i was expecting to receive. not that im complaining though, it actually sounds like a good punishment.

taeyong straightens up from slacking on his chair, suddenly delighted upon hearing what his friend had said but baekhyun's face just remains stoic, voice stern as he continues, “you'd do that with one thing in mindget the pearl back.”

jongin gasped at that information, “wait, he's going to retrieve the pearl in the land??” then he let out a sigh,  “i want to go there too..”

“be sure to get the pearl back before the next full moon, taeyong.” all of them then glances at the named male, worry and concern written on their faces. “given that its the first time the pearl was stolen, we dont know what will happen if the next full moon comes and we're missing one pearlit will surely disturb the balance of the ocean.”

“not only to the ocean but to the aquatic creatures like us too..” the more his friends say something, the more taeyong felt guilty and hopeless, “and to you. you know what will happen to you if you fail this, right?”

taeyong maintain a blank face but that doesnt cover up the fact that he's nervous as hell. nodding, taeyong silently confirmed that he knows what will happen to him if ever he fails on getting the pearl back.

“..then get the pearl.”

the retrieving of the pearl can not be done later, so hours after they've done their talk, taeyong's friends swam up with him to the nearest land surface.

“remember, you're only going there for one thing, and that is to get the pearl back.” jongin reminded him for the nth time.

taeyong hums in agreement before taemin added, “strictly no human attachments, okay?”

“if its possible, dont befriend humans.” baekhyun made a face before continuing, “from the stories i've heard, only some of them are kind. and the othersugh, not really.”

“also, dont recklessly use your abilities up there. you're not in the waters most of the time and using them would make you weak.”

“go there, get the pearl, go back here. okay, i got it.” taeyong states, assuring his friends that he's listening to what they've been telling him, “and of course, no powers and i cant get attached to humans. i'd remember that.”

are you sure you dont want a companion up there? im free you know, i could be

“jongin. taeyong's going there alone.

“ugh okay fine.

when they are a few kilometes from the shore, they already said their 'see you again' and 'stay safe' to their friend, letting him swim alone nearer to the shore before they watched his iridiscent tail transform into a pair of legs. since he's no normal mermaid but someone who's given power and any other privileges one mystic creature could have, taeyong can easily possess what he wants to have, including a shirt, jeans and sneakers as a start up.

taeyong could only look back at the sea and in the distance, he saw his acquaintances, their tails' tip splashing against the water as they swim back down after waving at him. turning his head to the other side - the human world filled with gigantic buildings, roaring cars, polluted air and umm.. people.

..just get the fucking pearl and this would be over in no time.