viii.

|08:42 am

“hyung, did you get punched on the face?” donghyuck inquires, shoving his face near jaehyun's as he examines jaehyun's face. “your blackeyes seem bad.”

shotting his younger friend an unamused look, jaehyun spoke in a flat tone, “its just eyebags donghyuck.”

“oh yeah, i remembered. where did you went last night?” yuta piped in, “it was you who went out right?”

right. talking about that, last night the merman literally dragged him out of the house just so he can have company while swimming in the ocean at late night. what's more worse is that the merman refused to ride a car in going to the beach and insisted that he wants to walk and jaehyun must do so too. jaehyun actually dozed off while laying on the sand as he waits for the merman to finish 'bathing' but then being the inconsiderate prick the merman is, the creature kept on splashing water on jaehyun's sleeping figure, the reason why he didnt have the chance to rest - not to mention that the merman seemed to enjoy his time at sea, not caring about the time or anything else. they went back home at five in the morning already because the merman cannot be seen by humans on his true form.

“oh you know, just.. out.” jaehyun really has a poor excuse-making skills, bear with him. “needed some fresh air.”

“okay but why would you stay up all night for a fresh air and not going back inside to sleep?”

“because uh.. i prefer breathing than sleeping..?” jaehyun answers in a hesitant tone, not even sure if his answer made sense. thankfully, both of his friends are as dumb as him and accepted that weird answer.

the day dragged on with jaehyun completely forgetting that he has a sea creature waiting for him back in his room. yep, he didnt know how he did it and why the merman agreed but the merman agreed on staying in jaehyun's room for the day and not follow him around.

for the last subject he head for today, he sat at the back part of the room together with some of his friends. when he felt someone took the seat beside him, he thought it was just his other friend who he was waiting for, “hey, jungk

he froze, eyes almost popping out from its sockets and his mouth hanging open. it was certainly not his friend. “what the heck?”

even before the person could talk back, a voice breaks jaehyun's trance, “oh? are you new?” a friend of jaehyun named yugyeom chirped, looking at the newly-arrived person.

the person beside jaehyun just gave a nod, it was short and rather rude but atleast he entertained the question.

“wait- do you know each other?” jaehyun almost denies the accusation. almost. if not for the merman sending him looks that says 'agree or i will kill you.' “unfortunately, yes.” then he felt a kick under the table which made him furrow his brows and stick his tongue out at the merman.

“oh cool.” jaehyun assumed the questions would end at that but no, his other friend chose to threw in another one, “what should we call you?”

and then silence, the merman was staring at jaehyun as jaehyun did the same. what's his name?  that, jaehyun doesnt know. he forgot to ask the merman and is now used on calling him 'merman'.

“umm..” when he felt his friends' eyes zeroing down on him with curiousity, jaehyun tries to think of a name quickly. he's not even the one who's supposed to answer it but here he is, stressed and currently ransacking his poor brain for a freaking name. “b-bubu.”

“..bubu?” his friends, yugyeom and eunwoo copies the 'name' that came out from his mouth. even the merman is quite shocked on the chosen name. okay, that was.. dumb.

“yeah.. bubu.” jaehyun pushed the idea of naming the merman 'bubu' nonetheless since his brain cannot possibly think of any other names.

“oh thats.. cute.” his friends commented and thankfully dropped the topic after greeting the unamused merman using the name 'bubu'.

the class continued and jaehyun is this close to sprinting away from the merman because of the constant death glares and kicking of his foot under the table. so he didnt like the name?

when the class ended, it was already dark outside. tired and worn out students swarming the hallway as they try to get home or to their next subject. jaehyun however, is going home now which is such a relief but the problem is.. the merman. he's silently thinking of a way on how to sneak the merman inside their dorm without his friends noticing given that some of them are back from their classes already.

“i told you, you're not suppose to go out.” jaehyun whined, scratching his head as they walked together. “now getting you back inside is a problem.”

“just tell them im your project partner.” bubu commented with a straight face and flat tone. that made jaehyun stop on his tracks, grinning in realization, “ooh that would work.” jaehyun nodded and raised his hand to pat the merman's head, bubu is smart..”

at that, the merman was quick to hold jaehyun by the wrist - attempting to twist it. “ouch ouch no! please no. i was joking!! dont!” jaehyun screeches, pouting at the merman in the hopes of receiving consideration and such from the creature.

letting go off jaehyun's hands, the merman glared at jaehyun who held his hand with such care, caressing and kissing it as if its something fragile - for a minute there he actually thought the merman would break his wrist which really scared him because duh, knowing the merman, the creature can do it and will do it with no hesitancy.

“bubu that was bad..”