10.

They spent the rest of the evening curled up on the couch watching TV until they realized they had to get dressed up or they would be late for the party. It wasn't anything formal, so Maya didn't need to change, she just fixed her hair and put on some makeup. Carina on the other hand, wanted to make a good impression so she put a little more effort into her outfit and make-up.

Before entering the party, Maya took Carina's hand and gave her one last kiss on the lips, enjoying every second, since going into the party they should pretend they were just friends. Although Carina wanted to spend her first night near Maya kissing and caressing her, she would endure a couple of hours without doing so as long as she could see her happy and not worried about what others would say.

- So, are we pretending we're just friends? Carina asked before entering.

- Yes, I'm really sorry Carina. But I promise I'll tell them, eventually.

- It's okay, it's okay.

- You just come in, be yourself and have fun. I'm sure everyone will love you.

They entered the party and the first to run in and greet them was Vic, she gave Maya a hug while whispering in her ear "Well done Bishop she is really hot" and then gave Carina a hug. After Vic introduced herself she led the girls over to where the rest of the guests were.

- Hey Bishop! Said several at the same time when they saw them approaching.

- Hi guys, this is Carina my friend from Italy. Carina this is Andy, Travis, Jack, Miller and Ben. Maya said as she pointed to each of her friends.

They all greeted Carina, some were very interested to know what her life was like in Italy so they bombarded her with questions which Carina kindly answered. After a while Carina found herself in a corner chatting and drinking with Vic and Travis. While Maya chatted with Miller and Andy, although Maya didn't really pay attention to anything Miller and Andy were saying, her attention was entirely on the Italian. Occasionally they would exchange glances and an occasional mischievous smile, but they tried not to be too obvious, even if it was hard for them to stay apart.

- Bishop, you never mentioned that your friend was so pretty. Said Jack approaching Maya and causing her to roll her eyes. - Do you know if she's single? Or how long she's going to stay here?

- I don't think you're her type Jack. Besides, I think she's seeing someone. Said Maya trying to pull Jack away from her girl.

- Well it can't be serious if she hasn't mentioned it to you, didn't you say you two are close? Maya remained silent trying to control the anger that was growing more and more as she saw how Jack was looking Carina up and down. - I think I'll go talk to her and hopefully tonight ends well for both of us. Jack said with a sarcastic tone as he winked, causing Maya to almost throw up.

Maya watched as Jack approached Carina and offered her a drink. Carina kindly accepted and went with Jack to the table where the drinks were, minutes later they were both on the couch talking. Maya couldn't take her eyes off them and watched as Jack used the noise of the party as an excuse to get closer and closer to Carina and whisper in her ear. A few drinks later, Carina was already a little dizzy, but she was having a good time so she agreed to dance with Jack. They both headed over to where the rest of the guests were dancing, the space wasn't very big so it was perfect for Jack's plans, he grabbed her by the waist and pulled her close to him as they moved to the beat of the music. Vic noticed Maya's angry face and that she wasn't taking her eyes off Carina and Jack, so she decided to go over and talk to her friend.

- If you keep looking at her like that, you're going to drop your little theater soon. She said, giving her a push on the shoulder. - Besides, I don't know why you have to pretend, you know that nobody here cares who you date, we just want you to be happy.

Maya didn't answer, anger had gotten the better of her and she wasn't in the mood to talk to Vic. Without thinking twice she went to where Carina was, grabbed her arm and took her to one of the rooms that was empty.

- What are you doing Carina? Maya asked, after closing the door of the room.

- Dancing with one of your friends Why are you so angry?

- You seem to be getting along very well with Jack. Said Maya with a sarcastic tone.

- Yes, I think so. He seems nice enough.

- So nice that you let him grab you by the waist and whisper things in your ear. Maya started raising her voice and pacing around the room.

- Are you jealous? You don't have to be Maya you know I'm not interested in anyone else.

- It doesn't seem like it. And Jack is definitely trying to get something with you and you don't make it hard for him.

Carina was trying to control her Italian temper, but that last comment from Maya had really pissed her off and combined with the drinks she'd had it was impossible for her to keep quiet.

- Hey! I don't know what you think of me, but I would never do anything to hurt you. And unlike you Jack doesn't seem to be embarrassed to be seen dancing with me so I'm doing what you asked me to do, pretending we're nothing and having fun.

- But you said it was okay, that you didn't mind pretending for one night.

- I know what I said Maya and I understand that you're scared, but if it wasn't for me coming all the way to Los Angeles you wouldn't even consider telling your friends the truth. And that makes me doubt, I don't know if the Maya I met in Italy really exists or if she just used me as a fling. Carina blurted out everything without thinking, she didn't want to hurt Maya, but she wasn't going to keep quiet. - Besides, with how little I've known your friends I could swear they don't care who you date, as long as you're happy.

Maya remained silent, analyzing Carina's words. She was right her friends really were amazing people and all they wanted was to see Maya happy, what really scared Maya was that if everyone found out somehow her family would find out too and they weren't like her friends. They didn't care if she was happy or not, they cared about looking good and keeping up the appearance of being a perfect family, even though they hadn't been for years.

- You know what? Fuck it!  Maya said turning around to leave the room, noticing how Carina's face changed from anger to confusion in a second.

Thank you for your votes and comments, they really motivate me to continue with the story. If you have any suggestions or ideas that you want to see in the story I am open to hear them. 😊