14.

The week went by faster than they expected. Carina was busy arranging the last details to open the new restaurant and looking for a place to live, since she didn't plan to stay in a hotel room for long. Meanwhile, Maya was dealing with work and her family situation, she had found a small two-bedroom apartment perfect for her and her mom, they were just waiting for the right time to leave. Her dad had a work trip scheduled for the following week so they would take advantage of those days to pack up and move into the new apartment, without her dad noticing so he couldn't easily find them and force them to move back.

- Mom I'm going out. Do you need anything? Maya shouted from the living room for her mom to hear.

- No thanks, are you going to see Carina? Her mom asked, because since Carina arrived Maya had been doing nothing but talking about her and going to visit her.

- Yes, tomorrow she's going back to Italy for a few days before moving back here, so I'm going to spend the day with her and tomorrow I'm going to drop her off at the airport. Maya replied, unable to hide the smile she got from talking about the Italian.

- You two spend a lot of time together, I don't know why you haven't introduced me to her yet, she seems to be quite nice. Her mom commented subtly, seeing how Maya's smile changed at her comment.

- Yeah, it's just... she didn't have much free time this week, you know she's very busy with the new restaurant and her move. Maya quickly justified herself, looking away so her mom wouldn't notice her nerves. An act that didn't go unnoticed by her mother who noticed that something was going on with her daughter.

- Maya, daughter, I know you. Is something bothering you?

- It's just that... Maya remained silent trying to think of the best way to tell her mother about her and Carina.

- You know you can count on me, I'll support you in any way. She said approaching her daughter and placing her hand on hers.

- I don't think you'll support me in this. Maya whispered, her voice reflecting all her insecurities. – You and Dad have always said you want me to meet a good man, get married and have a family. I know that's what you expect of me, but I can't control who I fall in love with and... and it just happened. When I'm with Carina I feel like everything is better, my problems seem insignificant, and I can't help but feel that feeling in my stomach that just makes me want to hug her and never let her go. And I have seen how dad reacts when he sees same sex couples on TV, he gets furious and prefers to change the channel and he will never accept the fact that I am not what he expects.

- Hey, hey, don't cry. Maya's mom moved even closer to her, putting an arm around her, while with the other hand she wiped away the tears that escaped from her daughter's eyes.

- It's just... I don't want to disappoint you, but what I feel for Carina is so strong, I've never felt this way for anyone before.

- Stop talking nonsense, you don't disappoint me, you will never disappoint me by being yourself. Interrupted her mother, squeezing her even tighter. – If she makes you happy, I'm happy. And don't care what your father thinks, we'll soon be away from him and he won't be able to do anything about it.

- Thank you mom. Maya murmured wiping away the last of her tears.

- You have nothing to thank, you're my daughter and I know I haven't been the best of mothers, in fact I don't think I'm even close to being a good one. But now things are going to be different, I'm not going to let him hurt us again.

They spent a few seconds hugging, taking in the moment until Maya decided it was time to leave. She was so happy for her mom's words, in all the scenarios she had imagined everything ended in tragedy and with her family hating her, but her mom's reaction took her by surprise.

- Hi! I have good news. Maya said immediately when Carina opened the door to the hotel room.

- Ciao! Tell me, but first give me a kiss. Said Carina taking her by the waist to give her a tender kiss on the lips.

- I told my mom about you, about us, you know that we are... I don't know what we are, but we are something and she took it much better than I expected.

- She did? That's amazing bella, I'm glad it all worked out. Carina replied hugging Maya showing her all her support and affection.

They spent the rest of the afternoon cuddling on the couch, watching movies, eating, talking, and enjoying the day together. But they both had an idea running through their heads.

Carina was proud of Maya, in the short time she had known her she had realized how much personal growth she had had as she discovered new things about herself. But the words Maya said earlier caused Carina to feel a little insecure "about you, about us, you know that we are... I don't know what we are, but we are something" those words kept repeating in her mind over and over again. True they hadn't talked about it, they never gave their relationship a title, but they were definitely something, something bigger, something important. Carina was one hundred percent sure she wanted to make it official, she wanted Maya to be her girlfriend, she had been thinking about asking her for a few days, but she knew Maya's history with relationships, and she didn't want to pressure her or make her feel like they were going too fast. So, she decided to wait, she was willing to wait as long as it took until Maya was ready.

On the other hand, Maya was the same way "about you, about us, you know that we are...I don't know what we are, but we are something" the words kept repeating over and over again. What she felt for Carina was something new, something she had never experienced and it scared her, it scared her that she wasn't enough for her or to think that she could ever hurt her. But at the same time that feeling made her a better person, a better version of herself. She couldn't believe that in such a short time Carina had become so important to her, having met her really was the best thing that had ever happened to her and she wasn't willing to lose her for anything in the world. So she grabbed her phone and texted Vic, she had come up with an amazing idea and she needed her best friend's opinion.

M: Hey Vic! I need your help with something very important.