25.

- MAYA! For the hell of it, tell this woman you never want to see her again so we can get the hell out of here and stop embarrassing me once and for all! Lane shouted, breaking the silence that had settled over the place.

Maya remained silent, unable to say a word, her legs were shaking and she felt the floor sinking around her.

- I should have known your mother would ruin you, she was the one who took you away from me and look what you've become. You're a disappointment just like your brother. Lane continued to shout, despite feeling ashamed of the spectacle he had created he could not contain his anger. – Do you think that being with her will make you happy, that you'll always be together and live happily ever after? He added, looking Maya straight in the eye. – Those are stupidities, distractions, life is not a fairy tale Maya. Let me clarify what will happen if you stay with her, you will stop making the right effort, you will believe that love is enough and you will get distracted from your real goal, in a few months she will get bored of you because you are nothing but a loser, she will see you as a burden and without a second thought she will walk away from you. And what will you have left? Nothing, you will have wasted your life for nothing. I'm the only one who knows what's good for you Maya, for the hell of it I'm your father, I formed you and you are what you are thanks to me. Every word that came out of Lane Bishop's mouth was like a stab in the heart for the blonde.

- Maya, you know that's not true. Carina's melodious and sweet voice intervened. She was furious at the man's attitude but seeing Maya in that situation broke her heart, so she held back her anger and calmly tried to reassure Maya that what was between them was real.

- And what do you know, since you don't even really know her? If you knew her like I do, you'd know she's nothing like you. Lane said seriously, this time looking at the Italian woman.

Hearing her father's words all Maya could think about was how wonderful Carina was and how the hell she had noticed someone like her. Carina was light, she was bright, she was beautiful, she was talented, she charmed anyone who had the chance to meet her. She was like a magnet that attracted anyone around her with her charisma and intelligence. Carina was a free soul, she liked to travel, to meet new people and new things, she could be with anyone in the world, she only had to choose, and she would have them surrendered at her feet, but she had chosen her. Among so many people she had chosen her, an insignificant lawyer who did nothing more than fulfill her father's expectations. Hell, even when she had managed to get away from him his words still haunted her. She was broken, she was a mess, maybe her father was right and Maya was just a burden, surely Carina would be better off without her. Sure, maybe it would hurt at first, but in a few months she would find someone who was worth it and could make her happy like she deserved.

- Tell her, tell her you're not like her so we can get out of here once and for all, you've embarrassed me enough. Lane added, taking Maya by the arm and pulling her closer to Carina.

Their gazes met and Maya noticed the pain in the Italian's eyes, the pain she was causing her. The pain she would surely continue to cause her if she stayed by her side, Carina didn't deserve that burden and Maya didn't deserve someone like Carina.

- Maya Bishop, if you don't answer right now I swear to you.....

- I'm not like you Carina. Maya interrupted, gathering all her strength to continue. – What happened between us was just a game, a distraction. She added avoiding the brunette's gaze.

Carina was confused, hurt and confused. It was impossible that everything was a lie, Maya was better than that, what they felt for each other was real, it was the most perfect and real thing Carina had ever experienced.

- Maya, look me in the eyes and tell me this isn't real. Said Carina moving closer to the blonde and taking her hand in hers.

Maya refused to look up, if she did she would see her beautiful brown eyes full of sadness and disappointment, she would see the woman of her dreams with a broken soul because of her and it tore her apart.

- Maya, please. Carina begged, squeezing her hand gently.

Maya looked up slowly, wiped one of the tears that fell down her cheek and with the coldest and most distant tone she could pretend she told the biggest lie of her life. – It was just a game Carina, I don't really feel anything for you. She pulled her hand quickly away from Carina's grip and without looking back walked away from her, followed by Lane Bishop.

At that moment Carina felt a stab in the heart, her breath was short and she felt that everything was moving around her, she tried to calm her breathing but she was unable to do it, little by little she felt her sight blurred and when she least felt it she completely lost consciousness and fell on the floor of the room, causing a commotion among all those who had witnessed the spectacle.

Please don't hate me.