26.

Note: What is in italics are memories. 

A month later...

"It was just a game Carina, I don't really feel anything for you."

Carina woke up suddenly, her cheeks red and hot as beads of sweat trickled down her forehead. She tried to control her breathing which was quite agitated as she looked around, the empty space beside her bed made her chest shrink. She quickly took the necklace charm she was wearing between her fingers and closed her eyes, taking deep breaths over and over again until she felt herself breathing normally again.

- Are you all right? She was interrupted by a voice coming from the bedroom door.

- Yeah, yeah, it was just a nightmare. She said, opening her eyes slowly. – Or rather a horrible memory. She whispered just to herself, but not quietly enough.

- That night again? Asked the brunette at the door.

Carina simply nodded lowering her gaze. Suddenly she felt the bed sink in beside her and a pair of arms wrapped around her.

- You know you can count on me for anything, right?

- I know Amelia, you are my best friend and I'm really glad you are here. Carina said, leaning further into her best friend's arms.

- It's no problem, I'd travel anywhere if you ask me to, especially if the trip is all paid for. Amelia joked, causing Carina to let out a small laugh. – Now get up, I've already prepared breakfast. She added, giving Carina a little push before heading back to the kitchen.

After heading to the bathroom to do her hygiene routine, Carina headed to the kitchen. She was wearing a loose t-shirt that the blonde had left at home at the beginning of their relationship, shorts and a ponytail in her hair.

- I love you Amelia, but next time let the people who know how to cook do it. Carina joked after tasting the breakfast the brunette had made.

- I did all this for you and this is how you repay me, you ungrateful bitch. Amelia joked back, she knew her friend was having a hard time and would do anything to cheer her up.

- Shut up!

- You started it.

After breakfast Carina went back to her room and decided to take a bath to clear her mind a little.

- You're finally here. Amelia said, when the front door suddenly opened.

- Where is Carina?

- Taking a bath, she was feeling a little sick.

- Nightmares again?

Amelia nodded. – It's always the same when you're gone, I know you've had to travel lately for work and all, but it seems like the only way she can sleep well is when you're by her side.

- I hate to have to be apart from her, you know that. But I'm really glad you're here.

- And I'm glad I'm here. Amelia smiled.

After the night Lane Bishop showed up both girls had spent horrible nights, Maya remembered over and over again her father's words and Carina's look and woke up in the middle of the night unable to fall asleep again. On the other hand, Carina was tormented by false scenarios in which Maya would decide to leave her, in which Maya would say that it had all been a lie, a game, and that she didn't really love her. The only way the girls could sleep was by being together, hugging, surrounded by that peace and security they could only find in each other's arms.

Carina was in front of the mirror brushing her hair when arms wrapped around her from behind, the smell of vanilla invaded her senses and she immediately felt safe and at peace.

- You're back? Carina smiled.

- Always. How are you? asked the blonde, placing her chin on the Italian's shoulder and giving her a tender kiss.

- I'm fine. Carina whispered.

- Really? Maya asked raising her eyebrows slightly.

- I had a nightmare again, but now that you're here I'm much better. Carina smiled.

- I hate that you have nightmares because of me.

- I hate having nightmares, but you know it's not your fault. Carina assured, leaning her body back to be closer to the blonde, if that was possible.

The blonde noticed Carina playing with the charm on her necklace, it was a habit the brunette had picked up a few months ago, she did it to calm herself and feel safe.

- You know that what I said that night is true, right? The blonde asked, turning to Carina so she could look her straight in the eyes. – I don't regret anything that happened and I would do it all over again.

Carina nodded, remembering the events of that night, what actually happened and not the horrible nightmares that haunted her at night.

- Tell her, tell her you're not like her so we can get out of here once and for all you've embarrassed me enough. Lane, grabbed Maya by the arm and pulled her closer to Carina. - Maya Bishop, if you don't answer right now I swear....

- You don't know me. Maya muttered.

- What? Lane asked confused.

- You don't know me, yes you may be my father and yes you may have trained me to be like you, but I am not. I'm not like you and everything I've achieved has been through my own hard work, I've achieved it through my sweat and tears. Maya blurted out when she gathered enough courage. – And you know what the funniest thing is? That, despite everything, despite all my achievements, I always felt unhappy, incomplete. She sighed. – And this woman. She added, pointing to Carina. – This woman whom you have disrespected all night, is the only person who has made me feel worthwhile, with whom I have the confidence to be myself, the person who makes me smile every day and makes me feel complete. She said looking the Italian in the eyes.

- Maya Bishop, you're going to regret it, if you say another word I swear you'll never hear from me again.

- I love her dad. Maya interrupted him. – And if loving her means losing you, I'm willing to do it. She added, taking Carina's hand in hers.

- You're a disgrace, a disappointment, I never want to see you again. Lane added between his teeth, before turning around and heading full of fury towards the exit of the place, followed by many curious eyes that had observed the whole previous scene.

A tear rolled down Carina's cheek.

- Shhhh, it's all right. Maya soothed her, as she wiped the tear away with the back of her hand.

- I'm so glad you're here. Said Carina, wrapping her arms around the blonde's neck.

- Always! I will always choose you Carina. Smiled Maya, leaving a tender kiss on her lips.

Carina smiled. Despite her nightmares and the insecurities that had awakened in her that night, Maya made sure to reaffirm to her over and over again the love she felt for her and how important their relationship was.

- I don't know if it's too early to tell you this, I know we're young and haven't been together long, but it's been clear to me for a long time. Maya added, interrupting her thoughts.

- What? Carina asked confused, raising her eyebrows.

- I want to spend the rest of my life with you Carina...

I didn't want to leave you waiting too long, I hope you don't hate me anymore :)