Chapter 9

Rayleigh

Friday seemed to crawl it's way up faster and faster and before I knew it I found myself sitting in my seventh period English class listening to To Kill A Mockingbird drag on and on. As per usual Kellin was asleep with drool slipping out onto the pages. Sometimes I think that he just might not get enough sleep. Just maybe. I didn't even understand half the things happening in the book, I mean we're already five chapters in and I still don't understand who Atticus is. I swear sometimes I'm stupid and other times I'm not. Just with with book in particular. I was tempted to poke Kellin and wake him up but he seemed so peaceful. Was it creepy that I was watching him drool on page 42 while we were way ahead of that? I don't want to seem creepy but, like, he looks so cute. I pinched myself in the arm for thinking such thoughts and continued to follow along reading as Jeremy Brel was reading today. The only interaction I've been having with Kellin was the usual tutoring lessons all week, he hasn't spoken to me outside of them ever since I told him about the date I have.

To be quite honest, I was excited for the date. I mean think about it, I kinda just started this school a week ago and I already have friends and a potential boyfriend. Like, how does that work? I mean Ryan was attractive. He was the Ryan type of attractive and I admired it. He joked around every chemistry class and he'd be the teenage boy he is and flirt. But then he'd be really sweet and tell me how excited he is for Friday which was finally here. Of course, he teased me and told me how it was a surprise and I couldn't know. I hated surprises they made me feel insecure about what was happening because for all I know he could be taking me to the woods to kill me. But Ryan wasn't like that, Kellin? Yeah, maybe Kellin would, but not Ryan. I looked at the clock and saw that the bell was going to ring in a matter of a minute and closed my book packing it away while Jeremy was still reading. I zipped my book bag just as the bell rang and I noticed Kellin didn't budge an inch from his sleeping position. I didn't want to disturb him but on the other hand a class was already filing through Mrs. Barry's door. I sighed sitting down in my chair again poking his shoulder slightly and he sprang to life holding his eyes over his face. He groaned running his eyes and laid back down again. I rolled my eyes and poked his shoulder again.

"Mom, five more minutes please!" He whispered and pushed my hand away from his shoulder.

"Kellin I'm not your mom and you're in an eighth period English class and have approximately one minute before you're late for your last class." I said casually. His eyes shot open and he started packing his bag up while I began to walk out of the room on my way to the dreaded gymnasium where it's a-okay to peg people you hate. A.K.A my entire grade. I made a right turn to head down the corridor to gym when I felt a hand on my shoulder and immediately shot my elbow back into the person's stomach. There was a loud groan and I looked behind me to see Kellin doubled over in pain holding his mid stomach. He stood up and rubbed his stomach pouting.

"Violent little kitty meow." He said making a claw gesture with his hands. I rolled my eyes and continued walking to gym only for him to stop me again and turn me around pushing me in the other direction.

"Kellin, I kinda have to go to gym." I said and went to turn around but he had a firm grip on my shoulders pushing me down corridors that looked deserted beyond belief. It was a big school so I could see why it was kind of deserted in some places with such a small population of students.

"Yeah, but I don't wanna go to math today and I wanna hang out with someone so you became my first option." He said and sat down in a lighted corridor. I've never skipped a class before. I didn't know if I should be extremely scared or be one of those people that take off their shirts in the middle of the street yelling yolo. There's always the chance of getting caught, then there's the chance of actually having fun. I didn't want to take my chances, but I found myself sitting nicely next to him smiling slightly as he politely smiled at me.