Chapter 14

Rayleigh

You know that moment when you're sleeping soundly and you're really enjoying your sleep because let's face it, spring break is sleeping and doing nothing remotely productive. Then there's always that one person that has to interrupt it and make you mad because you love your sleep.

"Ray! Ray! Ray! Get up! Get up! Get up!" Laila yelled as she jumped on my bed.

"I'm up!" I yelled back with my eyes still closed and rolled over onto my other side falling back asleep quickly. I felt someone close to my face and start poking my cheek.

"Ray. Ray. Ray. Ray." Over and over and over. I opened my eyes and growled at my ten year old little sister while she smiled innocently standing back up straight. My parents burst through the door smiling wide and they're eyes lit up like fireworks. Except my mom was holding a computer screen with my dad's face on it as he was smiling to.

"What are you doing waking me up at," I looked at the time and widened my eyes "8 o'clock in the morning!" I exclaimed laying back down.

"Does she seriously not remember what today is?" I heard my dad ask from the computer.

"Yeah the day where I sleep." I shot back and closed my eyes again.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" They all yelled. I wasn't expecting it so I shot up and fell off my bed onto the carpet and groaned.

"Why does this always happen to me?" I whined and sat up from the floor turning around with a smile.

"Thank you guys." I said and stood up. My mom backed out of my room and let me walk out and as I was walking to the bathroom she snatched the collar of my shirt and yanked me back.

"Not yet oh daughter of mine." She said and pulled me downstairs.

"But mom...my face, my mouth, what is this fuckery?" I asked as she threw my shoes at me. She threw a stick of gum and a hair tie and I stuck the gum in my mouth already feeling the minty taste and pulled my hair back into a messy bun.

"Language Rayleigh Ann." Both my mom and dad said at the same time. I rolled my eyes and stood there with my pikachu slippers on my feet and leggings on with an old tee shirt while my mom got her shoes on and my sister had flip flops on already.

"Now that were ready, we have a surprise for you." My mom said smiling wide. I nodded slowly and pointed towards the door with my thumb.

"Sooo?" I said slowly. Sudden realization flashed my mom's face and she ran towards the door open laptop still in hand as she opened it. And I walked out and I'm pretty sure my face was priceless.

"Somebody get a picture of that. It's priceless." My dad said from the computer screen.

"It took some discussion with your father but as a congrats on your new license and being 17 and all so we pitched in a got you a car!" She said excitedly. Right before my eyes was a nice blue Toyota Camry and in my moms hand was a keychain dangling. I don't know how loud I screamed. But I'm guessing it was pretty loud for neighbors to start coming out of their houses to see what the commotion was about and to give dirty looks.

"Holy pizza parties batman! It's a car!" I yelled running towards it. My mom laughed and nodded.

"Yeah it's a car." She said. I squealed and opened the door sitting in the drivers seat getting a new feel for my car. My car. This was so weird. But so exciting at the same time. I took deep breaths while wiggling my fingers around the steering wheel and smiling brightly. This was seriously the best birthday ever.

"C'mon let's go inside. Joy ride later breakfast first." My mom said. My dad's face was smiling as we walked back inside.

"How's wherever you are dad?" I asked taking the laptop away from my mom so she could prepare plates for breakfast.