Chapter 25

Kellin

I wouldn't leave. Well, it's not that I wouldn't leave it's that I just couldn't bring myself to leave. I didn't go to school, I didn't go home. The nurses tried kicking me out by telling me visiting hours were strictly over or they would threaten to bring in security but I stayed silent keeping my hands engulfed around Ray's one hand, cuddling with it and never letting go as if it were the last thing I would see. They stopped bothering me after a day or two and just got used to the fact that I wasn't leaving and wouldn't leave unless physically lifted up and brought out of the hospital. I would find my way back again though. Rayleigh's mom sat here for two hours every day and we talked, but not a lot. Most of the time it was silent with either her silent cries or mine. Sarah and Tess came a few times, but left when they couldn't control their emotions. Doctors were in and out as well, checking vitals and writing down information on the clipboard at the end of her bed and it was same every day for two weeks. The heart monitor slowly beeping away, they took the bandage off her head and let the stitched gash in the back of her head get some air as it healed and it was the same.

It was Friday and I had missed yet another full week of school. I was probably failing with how far behind I was, but I didn't care, I was here with Ray sleeping I'll be here when they do that medical stuff to wake her up. I'm not missing a heart beat of it. In the time that I go to do something, like eat or go home to shower she could be woken up, or even worse die. The thought made me shiver. I wouldn't allow that to happen. Today was also the day I took matters into my own hands and after two weeks of heavy debate with Rayleigh's mom she's agreed to let me go to the police. Or in this case have the police come to me as I still wasn't going to leave her side and her mom was going to make the report. Sam wasn't going to get away with this, she had to pay. She was going to pay. My phone was vibrating non stop to the point where I just ended up turning it off and cuddling with Ray's arm more and crying. I kissed the back of her hand and wept.

There was a knock on the door and Sarah and Tess walked through with more balloons and more flowers that would die like the rest had and a giant teddy bear with a cheesy message 'get well beary soon' sewn in script across the stomach of it. Tess set the bear and balloons down along with her flowers and Sarah did the same walking over to the opposite side of the bed.

There was another knock moments later and Tay walked in holding the same teddy beat Tess got her and cursed quietly and placed the identical bear next to Tess' and stood next to them as they looked down at a sleeping Ray.

"How long has it been?" Sarah asked quietly, her voice cracking slightly.

"Too long." Tess whispered.

"Two weeks to the day." I said.

Tay stayed quiet and paid her respects. "It shouldn't have happened." She whispered. "I should've stopped her, this is all my fault." She admitted lowering her head to look at the ground. I shot my head up to look at her to see her lifting her hand and wiping tears that fell down her cheeks.

"It's not your fault." She looked at me through watery eyes and shook her head.

"I should have like attacked her before she could do anything, or like scream louder."

"The only one to blame for this is Samantha." I said.

"Yeah Sam made the choice to harm her." Tess added.

"And you saved her instead of letting her die out there." Sarah added after. Tay stayed quiet for a little while before nodding silently and slowly and gesturing to the door with her thumb.

"I should, uh, get going I have finals to study for. Thank you." I nodded waving at her and Sarah nodded and Tess stayed quiet.

"She was terrified of what Sam would do to her." Sarah whispered. Her voice sounded thick and I could tell she was about to cry.