Chapter 23

Rayleigh

It was crazy how I came to this new school at the end of March and here I found myself nearing the middle of May. Usually when I thought of the future of being in this school, I thought of a lot of different things, having some nice friends, which I have. I never thought I would have a boyfriend, which I also have surprisingly. Honestly this feeling of being terrified of stepping foot into that school seemed foreign to me. I wasn't just starting that school, there was nothing to be scared of. It was weird for me to sit here in the driver's side of my car and actually think about the fact that Sam wants to put me in the hospital and ruin my face. Maybe break my glasses, I don't know yet. I didn't want to go anywhere near the entrance of James-Warren high school and I was perfectly content with turning my car on and zooming right out of here.

I didn't have boyfriend protection considering Kellin was needed at home to care for Melinda who was sick so his mom could go back to work today after caring for her all weekend. Sarah was there, but I couldn't tell her about it in fear of Sam going after her, or any of them, Tess, Pete, Ky. I couldn't do that to any of them. I was a big girl I had to deal with this over dramatic teenage girl on my own.

I laid my head against the cold window of my car and sighed as I put the key back in the ignition and was about to turn it when there was a tap at the window. My heart started pounding as I saw Sam's manicured finger nail there and her well done face glaring at me her blonde hair falling past her cheeks as she leaned over. I smiled awkwardly and waved before rolling down my window and leaning more towards the center of my car as she bent down to be face level with me.

"I thought we could talk about this maturely." She said softly yet sternly. I felt my heart rate decrease slightly as a hair of relief flooded through me for a moment.

"That's cool, fighting is stupid." I said nodding fast as she smiled and leaned both her arms over my open window smiling as she rested her chin on them.

"So how was your weekend?" This whole "talking about this to be mature thing" was going by really slow, she just wanted to drag this out and I was under enough stress and pressure.

"It was fine. How about yours?" I asked quietly yet nicely and in fear. She smiled and nodded slowly standing up and moving to the other side of my car before opening the door and sitting across from me in the passenger seat.

"My weekend was great thanks." I nodded smiling a bit already feeling a headache boil at my temples and spread through my head.

"Moving on to the more serious stuff now." She started smirking and crossing one leg over the other professionally and folding her hands together. "Break up with him."

I snapped my head to my right and looked at her with wide eyes. "Are you absolutely out of your goddamned mind?" I asked sarcastically.

"I knew you'd be hard to convince."

"What's that even supposed to mean? Why should I break up with someone I love because you want them. News flash Derain we don't all get what we want." I said angrily crossing my arms and leaning towards her. She laughed and shook her head and looked at me smirking.

"Break up with him or I break your face." She said sweetly. I felt my confidence fade a little bit but I kept the hard look on my face as I stared at her.

"You. Don't. Scare. Me." I said pronouncing each word slowly as I squinted my eyes. Before I could think of what her next words would be she took my head and hit it against the steering wheel making my growing headache worse at the sudden force. Damn it, why was she so violent? What happened to maturity here?

"I'm so done trying to be mature you fucking bitch! You think you can just control what I have and what I don't." She said angrily and took my head and slammed it into the steering wheel again. I started to feel disoriented as I heard the car door open and shut and felt relief rush over me as I rubbed my temples. What I didn't know was that it was far from over, no, she was just getting started. My car door opened on my side and as a result of my disorientation I fell sideways and out of my car as Sam stood over me and began kicking me in the stomach taking my dizziness to her advantage.

"Agh." I groaned and curled up into a ball protecting my mid body as she kicked me harder in the stomach, it hurt so much. She kneeled down and over me grabbing my face in between her hands and made me face her, pulling my head up.

"Usually when people don't listen to me I cry, but in this case you stole my man and I'm taking him back." She whispered in my ear.

"STOP! STOP IT!" I heard before she took my head and hit it against the parking lot pavement as hard as she could before getting up and wiping her hands before walking away.

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god." I heard repeated over and over as I laid there with my eyes closed in pain and my head pounding.

"Please don't die, oh my god." I heard her panic even more "Yes! She, she, oh my god Sam smashed her head against the parking lot, oh my god there's so much blood. No! No! Hurry please!" I felt her presence as se knelt down next to me hitting me in the face lightly pinching my cheek.

"Wake up, please the 911 operator said you keep you awake. Oh my god please don't be dead." I groaned and swatted her hand away.

"Don't pich mm chicks." I mumbled. It sounded like a drunken slur but my head was pounding and I couldn't think straight at all. She sighed in relief and moved her hand away sitting next to me.

"Kewlin." I spoke softly and opened my eyes to see rain clouds covering the sky as I heard a car pull up and car doors shutting and quick footsteps.

"He's absent today, but I'll call him, I promise." Her voice got softer as she was pulled away by the paramedic.

"Hey, my name's Nick I'll be prepping you to take you to the hospital." I nodded before I was being lifted and put on a semi hard surface and being rolled away.

I heard the sirens turn on before the doors were closing and the truck lurched forward making me groan. Everything was blurry and I couldn't focus my vision at all, I was scared.

"I'm gonna ask you a couple questions ok?" I groaned in response and rubbed my temples closing my eyes as my headache got worse.

"Can you repeat these three words back to me? Cat, glove, flower."

"Flower. Um, shit what were the other two?" I closed my eyes and placed my hands over my closed eyes in hope of not being as dizzy as my headache was turning into a migraine and I started feeling tired.

"I'm tired." I whispered turning my head to the side.

"Don't fall asleep Sweetheart were almost there stay with me, stay with me." He said and started feeling my neck for a pulse.

"I need to sleep." I whispered faintly and felt my eyelids sink as it became darker and darker I felt a couple slaps on my cheek but couldn't open my eyes as Nick's voice became distant.

"Damn it John! Drive faster! We're losing her!" Was all I heard before everything went black.

•~•

AN: Oohhhhhh look at that cliffhanger! I'm officially on spring break and I will have the chapter out soon I promise! Thank you all for reading and voting and commenting I love reading what you guys say. Why do I feel like this chapter is so short? I've been doing so well with this one point of view thing, but the only way I can make my next update work is to make in Kellin's p.o.v so the next chapter will be in his.

~Jenn