Chapter 14 - Fraternization

The S.H.I.E.L.D cafeteria was brimming. It was lunchtime, and all of the tables were occupied. Katta sat hunched between Thor and Clint, picking her food. Thor sniffed on his meal, a disgusted look on his face.

"This comes nowhere near the meals we have in Asgard. What shall this be?"

"Mac' N Cheese," Katta uttered. Tony took a seat on their opposite, placing his plate on the table. "One could really mean that the food would be better. I'm paying for it, after all," he said.

Katta looked at her plate without appetite. Seeing Fenris had puzzled her entirely. He wasn't supposed to be here after she had cancelled the mission to save her. Why was he here? Not going to lie. Katta was relieved he was. But there must be a reason.

She stood up, excusing herself to the bathroom. As soon as she had closed the toilet door behind her, she pulled Fenris' paper out of her sleeve and unfolded it. Quickly, she read through the information, feeling her heartbeat increase with every word.

The radiation Fenris wrote about must have been the same the wakandian tech-laboratories had recognized weeks ago.

"2012" - Battle of New York. The information raced through Katta's head as she tried to process them. Fenris wouldn't have appeared if that was just an eventuality. Something was coming, somewhat earlier than later. Katta scrambled the piece of paper and flushed it down the toilet before leaving the cabin to wash her hands.

Back in the cafeteria, she noticed Fenris sitting next to Agent Coulson, who chatted with him excitedly. His cousin shot her a quick glare before continuing his talk with the agent. Katta walked closer and took a seat at their table, grabbing something to drink.

"Hey, Coulson. I see we have a new face?" She nodded towards Fenris. He gazed back, grinning shyly. Coulson wiped his mouth and swallowed.

"Ah, yes, Miss Harlovsen. This is Dan Charleston, IT Expert. He'll help us improve our communication system after it broke down today again. You must have noticed," he said gleefully, nodding.

"IT-Expert," Katta smiled at Fenris, who lifted an eyebrow in return.

"Yes, ma'am, I'm specialized in security systems," he replied. Jesus. Fenris still was an excellent undercover agent. If Katta hadn't known him, he would have tricked her as well.

"Pleasure meeting you. Are you fine with Dan? It appears I'm not good at remembering surnames." She propped her chin on her elbow, bending a bit more forward.

He nodded, a smile tugging on his lips. "Dan is fine. It seems we're seeing each other more regularly now."

"Seems like it. To good cooperation. Coulson." Katta nodded, stood up and turned around to go back to her origin table. A few of the others had appeared meanwhile, leaving her no choice but to sit next to Sam.

"Seems like you're quite fond of that new agent," he remarked as she took the seat beside him. Katta felt a stare and looked up, seeing Barnes watching her from the other side of the table. She shrugged, grabbing a bottle of water.

"Things like that are not allowed here. Fraternization," Barnes stated, grabbing a bottle as well. Katta met his look and couldn't help but laugh.

"Do you sometimes listen to yourself, Barnes? I mean, fraternization," she snorted. "What's wrong with a little companionship?" Even meant as a joke, Katta cringed inwardly. It was her cousin they were talking about, though nobody else knew.

"This is no combination that I will ship Lady Katta. He is a weak man of technology," Thor said, slightly upset.

"Yeah," Bucky added.