Chapter 32 - The Worth Of A Life

"Woah," Clint exclaimed as the middle of the safehouse living room began glimmering. In a split of a second, the others appeared, Loki beside them.

Clint almost fell from the couch as he got up and grabbed a knife. "You bastard," he seethed, walking towards him.

"This way," Fenris commanded in a firm voice, shoving Clint aside. Bucky followed him, carrying Katta along. He grimaced as he laid her on the ground.

"First aid kit," Fenris yelled. Magnus entered the living room, his eyes growing wide. He sprinted outside and came back with a green box.

"Disinfection," Erik announced, bringing a bottle from the kitchen. Vodka.

"Away, I need space," Fenris kneeled next to Katta and began ripping her shirt open until the wound with the knife laid free.

"Dritt," Arne cursed, seeing the wound. "Looks infected already. What happened?"

Fenris didn't answer and poured the vodka over the wound. Katta faintly groaned in pain.

"Here," Magnus approached them and placed a tiny metal bug onto Katta's temple. He raised a little monitor. His eyebrows furrowed.

"Barely any pulse," he exhaled. Fenris grunted. He turned Katta on her side and with one swift move, pulled out the knife and pressed a bandage to the wound.

"We need Carlsson," he yelled. "Now."

Erik ran to Strange and pushed the time-stone in his hands. "Please, help us," he pressed out. Strange squinted his eyes.

"Come on." Erik grabbed his shoulders, despair evident in his voice. Slowly, Strange nodded. He crossed his hands in front of his chest and laid his head back. A green swirl engulfed him, and Strange vanished.

"How does he know who we're looking for?" Magnus asked, distressed.

"How can I know? He's a magician, for god's sake," Erik yelled back.

Bucky stood a few meters apart, watching the situation. His hands were drenched in Katta's blood. This couldn't be. Finally, they had gotten Katta back and then she'd taken the knife for him. His breathing got more profound as anger and desperation pulsed through his body. Why? Why goddam now? It should have been him. Everything would have been fine now.

A green light appeared in the room, and everybody shielded their eyes as Strange appeared out of thin air, pushing a red-headed man into the room.

He stumbled forwards, his eyes widening at sight. "What the f---,"

"Carlsson," Erik grabbed his shoulders, relief in his voice. "Name your price. I don't care. But safe her," he pointed at Katta. The eyes of the redhead wandered to Katta on the ground, and he swallowed.

"4 Million Dollars and a new set of passports," he stated, pushing his glasses higher.

"Deal," Erik nodded, shoving him towards Katta.

Carlsson kneeled to the ground and rolled up his sleeves. His hands began working over her wound as he shook his head. "I-I need instruments - your operating room."

"You heard him," Fenris said to Strange. Strange pressed his lips together but raised his hands again. Within a second, the Harlovsens, Strange and Carlsson vanished, leaving the Avengers behind.

Bucky looked at the spot where Katta had laid only moments ago. The only thing that hinted at the Harlovsens presence was red bloodstains on the floor and a half-full bottle of vodka.

"What?" he mumbled, still glaring at the blood.

"I need to bring Loki away," Thor announced. Bucky turned around and only now remembered the god's presence. He pulled out a gun and aimed at Lokis's head.