Chapter 17 - Identification

Katta watched Fenris tipping the coordinates to the Harlovsen headquarter in the Quinjet. They hadn't talked since Fury had ordered the boarding. Natasha came her way and took the seat directly next to her, closing her belt.

"You Harlovsens never miss an opportunity to impress me."

Katta looked up in surprise. She would have expected accusations or threats but no words of admiration. Natasha proceeded.

"Honestly. You smuggled him into the building, under our every eye. His disguise was perfect."

"Thanks," Katta muttered. Natasha chuckled as she waved Banner over. He approached them with a medical kit, and Natasha helped her get rid of her shirt.

"It is already healing," Bruce stated, amazed. "Of course, your blood." He started working on her wound, cleaning it. Katta bit her tongue as the disinfectant burned away the crud. Meanwhile, Fenris had finished and took his seat on the opposite while the autopilot took over.

"Alright, children, Quiz time," Tony announced, waking everybody out of the silence. He turned towards Fenris. "You're another Harlovsen. Why haven't we seen you at the family BBQ?"

Katta shut her eyes close. Silence spread through the room. As if Fenris would answer any of his questions.

"Another question. How did you manage to get employment in one of America's best-secured institutions?" It was again Tony. Katta curtly smirked. If that was their best-secured institution, then congratulations for sucking.

"Good question. We did the usual background checks but already were in our system." It was Bruce's voice. In his place, Katta would be pissed. He'd worked the closest with Fenris and noticed not a thing.

"Katta!"

She opened her eyes. Sam. "We want an explanation. After all, we're a team, now."

Katta leaned back in her seat, looking at the Avengers, who observed her demandingly. She contemplated on whether to tell them what they wanted to know. Not that they deserved any of it. Her eyes wandered over until they met the only one who wasn't looking at her. Barnes sat in the corner of the machine, examining his hands.

"Promised". She'd promised to him to explain the situation. Barnes looked a lot calmer than before. Good. A wacky winter soldier in a plane might not be the best thing.

Katta rubbed her eyes and sighed. Might as well them about everything - When they messed up, she wouldn't live very long either way.

"When Olaf, Arne and Erik tried to free me, I cancelled the mission and gave them the agreed sign to not come back. This is something only the target can decide, and usually, the others have to stick to that." She looked at Fenris, whose face showed a mixture of stubbornness and unease. He cleared his throat and took over from her.

"We sensed the extraterrestrial radiation already weeks before your instruments did, and they matched with the one we recorded when Loki was on earth the last time. Magnus and I decided to overthrow the agreement and inform Katta so that she could deal with the situation," Fenris said. "It wasn't part of the plan for me to stay. You managed that all by yourself." A slight smirk played on his mouth.

"You knew about the radiation all the time and didn't say anything," Bruce muttered in disbelief. Steve leaned forwards in his seat.

"Why didn't you flee right away?"

"Yes, Captain. Why didn't we flee?" Katta asked and chuckled, tired. "Could have something to do with the records you store about my brothers."

"And who is Magnus?" Sam asked.