Chapter 15 - Trust Me

"It is hard to tell from where this radiation comes, but it definitely increases," Bruce murmured, tapping the keyboard of his laptop.

Fenris stood next to him, pressing his lips together. It was tiring. The Harlovsens were already preparing for threats while the S.H.I.E.L.D headquarter still contemplated what this radiation could mean. Fenris didn't intend on helping at all. They didn't deserve help.

Over the last two days, Fenris had tried to seek out the records of Arne, Erik and Olaf, but every time he had come close to the archives and highly secured storages, Barnes had crossed his way. From all team members, he had been the one that seemed to trust him least.

Even now, Fenris noticed him passing the laboratory, not without sending him a dark glare. Maybe it had been a mistake acting as if he got along with Katta so well. Why should anybody trust him while he seemed to make friends with somebody they hadn't accepted already to be part of their team.

Speaking of the devil, Katta opened the door to the laboratories and took a seat on one of the laboratory tables for her daily check-up.

"Hello, Katta," Bruce greeted her with a warm voice.

"Morning, Doc. Dan," she replied and rolled up the sleeve of her left arm.

"Did you have any more problems with the chip? Mister Charleston told me that it made you a bit uncomfortable in the last days," Banner asked while connecting a small transmitter to her skin.

"No. I probably only needed to get used to it." Katta smiled before shortly looking to Fenris. He retorted to her look with a slight quirk of his eyebrow before turning back to her.

"Everything looks good. Your values are average. Whatever 'average' means in your case," Bruce stated, taking away the instrument. "How are you doing here, Katta?" he asked, turning around to his screens.

"Good, I think." Katta frowned at the question.

"I know that Director Fury didn't choose the most polite way to make you assign to the Avengers initiative. Nevertheless, this is a good thing, and I hope that the time will come for you to decide to stay voluntary," Bruce added.

Katta quickly exchanged a look with Fenris, who almost unnoticeably shook his head.

"Why did you decide to join, Doctor Banner?" Katta asked, standing up.

"It seemed the right thing. After I turned into this." He turned around and motioned at himself. "I've spent a long time hating myself for being me. When I was offered the opportunity to use 'him' to help, I think I just told myself that I could at least do everything possible to save other people."

Katta nodded. "Thank you for your honesty."

"If you need anything, Katta, let me know. I can only imagine how your inner conflict must sound like." He turned back around to the screens, and Katta left the room.

Almost immediately, she heard footsteps behind her but didn't turn around.

"I think I know where the records could be, but Barnes always gets in my way when I try to get them," Fenris murmured, walking behind her.

"This man starts to get on my nerves," Katta whispered back without looking at him. To the cameras, it looked like they were walking one after the other.

"You have to distract him. One hour. That's all I need." Fenris cleared his throat and looked at his watch.

"I don't know. Maybe we should wait a bit." Katta bit her tongue.

"Come again? If you want to stay, Katta, all you need to do is say it. But I must not remind you that they were the ones hunting, fighting, drugging, imprisoning and threatening you." Fenris's voice grew louder as he opened a door and disappeared into another room. Katta followed the corridor, sunken in her thoughts.