Chapter 22 - Raw Violence

Katta watched her environment while listening to her brothers' bickering. Magnus's plan to split the whole group had been good. Still, her guts churned as she thought about the fact that Loki was walking around freely, somewhere in this city. He could literally be disguised as every single person they saw. He could be the man, mustering her as they passed him, the woman with the long red coat or the child on the swing - Katta couldn't suppress a grin. Loki on a swing was a picture that was now embedded in her brain. It would make her good thoughts when she would need it.

Clint walked next to her, his face tensed in concentration. It felt good, being on a mission with him again. Even after all the bullshit, he'd pulled. Last night, Katta had decided to forgive him. Not for his sake, but for her own. The urge to finally feel peace and breathe was getting heavier by the day, and Katta needed to lift this pressure from her chest.

"How are Laura and the kids?" Katta asked, looking up to him. He glanced at her and smiled. A sincere smile. It was infectious. The wrinkles around his eyes had become a bit deeper. He must be smiling a lot.

"Good, Laura started knitting, and the kids are doing great - especially in knife-throwing. Probably because they adore you, Katta. They ask all the time when you'll be visiting."

Katta grinned. The Bartons had been a second family to her, and Laura was almost like another sister. The pain after Vikar's death had been so fresh, and as Katta hadn't been able to mourn the loss with her family, Clint had offered her a place and people to do so.

"They would do best, living a regular average life - graduating from school, visiting a college and travelling the world," Katta sighed, shaking her head. Even though she liked her life, she had sometimes wondered how it would have been when she hadn't decided to join H.Y.D.R.A after the military career. Maybe, she would have worked as an instructor for new soldiers, married somebody - perhaps even Christoph, founded a family.

"You sound like Laura. But there is so much evil in the world. I just want them to be prepared, Katta. They can become whoever they want, but I want them to be able to defend when I can't."

While Clint still talked, Katta noticed a woman, looking at her a bit too interested, and nudged Clint's shoulder. He knew her well enough to interpret her actions and shut up immediately, following Katta's gaze. The blonde woman put on sunglasses and turned around, walking in the opposite direction.

"You know her?" Clint asked as they started following her, jogging across the street.

"No, just a feeling," Katta answered, keeping up her pace.

"We're following a suspect, Banner can you locate us?" Clint talked into his earpiece.

"Just give me a moment," Bruce murmured back.

"What about Decker, Arne?" Katta asked. Her brother huffed. "He was a dead-end, only wanted to make a good deal but had nothing for us."

"No reason to break his arm, though," Erik stated through the earpiece, his voice sounding angry.

Meanwhile, Katta tried to follow the woman, who constantly vanished in between the masses only to emerge again, seconds later.

"Let's get her from two sides," she yelled at Clint. He nodded and branched off.

Katta looked up and saw a drone following her position. "Banner?" she asked.

"Yes, I'm on your heels," he answered. "Pictures of the woman will be sent to the headquarter now."

"I need to know who she is," Katta panted, pushing through the people. Shit, she was fast.

"On it," Magnus said. "A.L.V.A.R, align the photographs and search for–"