Chapter 30 - Efficiency

"Wow, this is impressive," Fenris said, looking at the SH.I.E.L.D building with wide eyes. "Where is this building in our time?"

"Destroyed," Steve answered. "It will explode in a good hour or so."

Fenris nodded to himself. "I forgot about that."

"Dritt, they've already been here," Erik said as they went towards the entrance.

"How come you know?" Steve asked. Erik wordlessly pointed to a bled out body that was hidden in the shadow of the door. Steve looked at it in horror, his nose scrunching.

"That's her work?" Thor asked.

"Definitely. The precision is remarkable," Fenris nodded. "No chipcard. She must have stolen it." That was bad. Katta's abilities paired with her H.Y.D.R.A - changed body and mind-controlled psyche was a deadly combination. He exchanged a quick look with Fenris and nodded towards the door. "We go in."

One by one, they quietly went through the corridors, seeing bodies from time to time. "Efficiently," Bucky remarked.

"You speak of it as if you're admiring it," Thor said.

"Rationally seen, this is excellent work," Erik shrugged. Steve shot him a sharp look but kept walking. Suddenly, Fenris stopped and looked at the others with wide eyes. He pointed into another room.

Bucky felt his face heat up as he watched the situation. Loki and Katta were in this room. She was busy doing something on a computer while Loki strutted around, looking over her shoulder.

Bucky squinted his eyes and shook his head. Something was wrong. Suddenly, he heard Steve grunt and turned around. His best friend was looking at him in surprise while blood flowed from a gash in his leg.

Somebody ran in the opposite direction, their footsteps echoing in the empty corridor.

"I'm going," Bucky said. He sprinted in the direction, following the person. By the time he reached another door, he saw nobody.

"Shit," Bucky cursed, raising his hand to his earpiece. Before he could touch it, something heavy fell onto his shoulders and brought him to the ground. He turned onto his back just in time to prevent Katta from stabbing him in his chest. She tried to get the knife closer to his body while he tried to prevent her from slicing him.

"Katta," he pressed out under the effort. She didn't react but let go of the knife just to emerge another one. Her face was scrunched as she fought against his strength. He pushed her off her and pulled a gun from his holster, pointing it at her.

Katta watched him closely, tilting her head. Step by step, she came closer.

〰〰〰

Katta watched Barnes, pointing a gun at her. She could see the slight tremble of his hands and the twitch in his eyes. He wasn't sure. He wasn't serious. Slowly, she took a step in his direction, watching his reaction. He opened his mouth as if to say something, but no words came out.

She took another step and let her knife sink. He shook his head and silently muttered something under his breath. Katta tried to control a smirk that threatened to play on her lips. Step after step, she came closer until she stood right before him, his gun aimed at her head.

"Katta," he muttered as a warning, shaking his head. She inched closer, his gun now pressing against her forehead.

"Shoot me," she said.

His eyes widened in surprise.

"Shoot me," Katta repeated. His internal fight was grabbable as he seemed to fight with himself. She scoffed.