Chapter 16 - No More Lies

"This time, the Avengers will have no opportunity to creep back into their puny towers and buildings. I will see the light of their lives fading out from their eyes when I execute them one by one," Loki declared as he walked through the room that had used to be Perez's hideout.

His group of fighters had become bigger. An American sniper, an Argentinian spy, a French military and a Bulgarian combat fighter. They might be Midgardians, but Loki recognized fighting skills when he saw them. He used to be a decorated warrior for the Asgardian army - a general even. But now, he only had one goal. To find the Midgardian that held one of the infinity stones.

"Doctor Stephen Strange," Jaime Perez, one of his fighters, said. He was an experienced task force leader and would guide the attack against the current location of the so-called Avengers.

"He refers to himself as the master of mystical powers and member of the sorcerers. Is said to prevent this reality from all kinds of menaces." Jaime's voice was expressionless. One of the side effects of mind control.

"Fine," Loki said. "You will occupy the Avengers while I get the stone."

"Yes, sir," Jaime nodded. Not only would he attack the S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters. Loki wanted to see the Avengers burn. And well, he would.

"The time has come to let true greatness come over Midgard," Loki smirked, looking at the fighters who geared up for the fight.

〰〰〰

Katta hurried down the corridor to the laboratories to get Fenris. Together, their chances would be better to flee from the building. As she ran around a corner, she collided with something hard, sending her tumbling to the ground. Katta cursed but got up quickly to proceed her way when she found her arm in a tight grip.

"Where are you going?"

She looked up, meeting Barnes's gaze. Katta groaned inwardly, yanking her arm away from him.

"I need to get something," she said lamely, hoping that he would drop it.

"What?" he asked, mustering her.

"What what?" Katta retorted, glaring at him. He clenched his jaw, tilting his head. Annoyance was radiating off him.

"You're going to see the IT dumbass," he stated. Katta looked at him, baffled. Was he -- jealous? No way.

"If you wanna know, Banner summoned me to do some tests with me, for I am S.H.I.E.L.D.'s newest lab rat," she spat. Upon seeing his mouth twitch, Katta knew that she'd chosen the right subject. It was evident that Barnes was still fighting with his H.Y.D.R.A time, maybe even more than she did.

"I-I didn't know," he muttered, stepping slightly back.

"You didn't know what?" Katta proceeded. "That I am tested with? That I have no idea what they are doing with me? Seems familiar, huh?" She pulled her jacket straight and walked past him, brushing his shoulder on the way. Katta listened intently as she marched further, breathing in relief upon noticing that he didn't follow. A slight pang shot through her chest as she recalled his expression. He looked almost hurt. Katta quickly brushed it off and opened the door to the laboratories without knocking.

Bruce and Fenris turned around, surprised, but she only smiled. "I wondered if I could borrow Mister Charleston, Doctor Banner."

Bruce looked at his assistant and began to smile shyly. "Sure, Miss Harlovsen." He nodded at Fenris and turned back to whatever he was working on at the moment.

His cousin followed her outside before his face turned worried.

"We need to go now," Katta stated, walking towards her room.