seventeen.

When Esme woke up, her head was throbbing.

She could still feel the painful compression of her skull, but it had subsided somehow. Her eyes felt like they were glued shut, and if she tried to reopen them, it would only hurt more. She could sense there were bright lights overtop of her head. Her fingers were still at her sides, and she panicked, wondering if the past few months were only a dream and that she was still in the cell. But then a hand laid upon hers, sending warmth throughout her body.

It was fire against ice. The person caressed her skin, and she wanted to open her eyes and see who it was. Her headache had started to subside as the person continued their gentle actions. She was giving into the comfort of whoever was taking care of her. Just then, the loud bang of a door startled her, and her eyes sprang open.

Esme's vision had cleared, now focusing on the woman walking towards her. She turned her head to the side blinking rapidly, focusing on the image of a man retreating from her side- Now making their way over to the end of the bed.

The woman sat on the edge of the bed, gently touching her hair. Esme groaned, rubbing her eyes only to see the person who was with her was Claire. She stared up at the ceiling of her room, eyes drawing patterns along the lines. Then she shifted her attention to the person at the end of her bed.

Mr.Malfoy sat with his head down in only a black t-shirt and pants. It was unusual to see him dress in casual clothes, even after seeing him wear sweatpants.

She was unable to decipher his emotions. She could see the growing tiredness around his eyes, dark bags visible. If she were to guess, it looked like he hadn't slept for days, which was odd since the last time she had seen him, he looked healthy. How long had she blacked out for?

"Honey can you try to open your mouth?"

Claire's soothing voice rang in her ears from beside her. Esme pried open her jaw, trying to open it the best she could.

Claire slipped the liquid down her throat, and she swallowed, waiting for the results to kick in. She counted in her head up to ten seconds before the effects began to take place. It was the same icy feeling from before, only this time she didn't shiver.

The liquid swept through her insides, diverging into different parts of her body. It was cold, but it felt good. It was fighting against the warmth of the top layer of her skin, balancing out both. When the icy texture inside of her reached her fingertips and the tips of her toes, she shuddered. Her body started slipping away, eyes closing into the unending darkness.

Esme didn't have the chance to look back down at Mr.Malfoy before her mind turned off, going black. The bright lights left her vision even with eyes closed as the coolness remained inside of her. Allowed her body to rest. The throbbing of her head disappeared. It was like she couldn't feel anything. She was numb.

It was what she deserved, after all. She was meant to be left alone, having no one to care. That was her life.

No one would ever care for you.

She started slipping away from her own thoughts. They separated on different paths. It felt as if it was just her, a single soul. Her mind was connected to the rest of her body. All was quiet, and she fell into the everlasting darkness physically and now mentally.

The lights were no longer straining her eyes when she woke up the second time. She thought the room was empty. There was an absence of sound, no rustling of the trees or wind from outside. She shifted, turning to the other side, noticing Mr.Malfoy sitting at the table fast asleep. His one leg was crossed over the other, his arms the same. She smirked at how his clothing hadn't changed from the last time she saw him, his hair fell over his eyes, and his chest rose steadily as he remained deep asleep.