thirty-six.

Slowly Esme pulls her head out of the pensive. The time has slowed around her. As if an hourglass has been set, and the sand will soon run out. Time is frozen as she stares down at Draco's forearm and then back at his face. Her eyes flicker back down to his arm, now noticing the deep black ink swirling in his veins, where other colours were supposed to take place.

"I- I don't understand," she finally chokes out after what feels like a span of time, "Why would you hide our friendship from me? Why wouldn't you help get my memories back?"

He pales, swallowing thickly as his eyes flicker in pain, "This entire time. You took me to places, did things with me so that it triggered something. But you didn't want me to remember you. Why is that?"

She watches as his throat bobs again, and together they stand in silence. Her eyes flicker back down to his forearm, and immediately her mind is switched back into planning mode, "I'm going to get rid of that curse," she promised. With that, Esme strides past him, her mindset on finding his lab and getting to work. Her memory is fresh with the previous ingredients she has used, but before she reaches the door, a strong arm pulls her back.

"No. Stop. This is why I didn't want you to remember. You were exhausting yourself."

"You did all of this to protect me?" she questions, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I had to keep you safe."

And then she lets out a cold laugh, "Well, I never expected you to give up. This is me keeping you safe now since you don't seem to believe you're worth saving."

His fingers tighten around her wrist, and she finally finds herself glancing up at him. It's the first time he's spoken since viewing the vials. His silver eyes are hard. A missing fury pushed its way to the forefront of his sight. She pulls out of his grasp, raising her chin, "You can't tell me what to do Draco. I'm choosing to do this."

He brings a hand up to his nose, pinching slightly- as if he's trying to calm a bubbling frustration that is eager to fight its way out and explode against her. Esme reaches for him, taking a hesitant step forward. Her shaking fingers rise, cupping his cheek. Slowly she caresses the skin, and she can tell he's fighting against her touch. Battling against whether it's safe to give in to the comfort she holds. The one thing he finds solace in. Her fingers trail down towards his jaw, and she notices a stubble, "Please just trust me."

He sighs, leaning into her palm as his eyes flicker shut for a moment and then back open. The look in his eyes has changed into a purifying form of love, "I do trust you."

"Then let me do this. Please Draco."

He scans her face, a look of seriousness in his eyes, mixed with a fire of possessiveness. She can read his eyes, almost as if they're as clear as day.

Mine. They whisper. Mine.

He treasures her. Reluctantly he nods, and she leans up, pressing her lips to his cheek, "Go rest. Or I'll make you."

Esme quickly turns on her heel, marching out of the room and towards his lab. When she arrives, her feet take accord, as her hands seem to find each ingredient she's searching for. Blinking slowly, she's quick to recognize that he's organized his supplies the same way she kept them in her study back home. Her eyes scan the shelf for a labeled vial of phoenix tears, but she can't seem to find them. Her heart lurches into her throat, beating rapidly against her chest. Trying to steady her breathing, she holds a breath of three and then exhales. If she panics, he will take everything away, and all will be hopeless. She would be damned not to do anything. 

Draco represents the sky's dusk of darkness, but his passion for her allows dawn to recover- a glimpse of light through the night.

Footsteps sound from behind her as she turns, coming face to face with him. He looks down at the vial in his hands, and then a smirk lifts across his lips. His eyes remain strained in pain. Swirling darkness vacuuming all the happiness he once held.