nineteen.

"I see you've found my lab",

Draco's musical voice sounded in her ears from behind.

She gasped, turning to face Mr.Malfoy, whose face was covered in a sly smile.

"I- I was just."

His face twisted in amusement as he watched her stutter to come up with a conclusive answer.

"I- I was just", he mocked her, chucking quietly. His anger from earlier had vanished completely. Draco's eyes moved past her onto his lab area. She could see his hues light up with passion affiliating with love for his work.

"Now be a good girl and go back to your room".

Her stomach threatened to fill with butterflies. Why couldn't her feelings just dissipate into the air? Her mind felt fuzzy. Esme gathered her thoughts the best she could, pushing them back to where they belonged.

The back of her brain.

When she turned back to gaze upon the room, she could feel his eyes driving holes into her back.

"I would like to see what you have in here." she lied. Her stomach plummeted. It was the only way to get closer to him. In all honesty, she did want to see, but it was best to contain her emotions, far away from the surface of her brain. She was starting to lie to herself, and she didn't know how long it would last before she would drown altogether. She was barely able to tread water.

"If that's what you wish".

Mr.Malfoy walked in front of her, sitting down on the other side of the bench. Esme stood in shock, confused by his easy reluctance to show her his belongings. She had been debating on what to say if he had rejected her. However, this was becoming easier the more time she spent with him. He was becoming more willing. She watched him shyly as he signalled for her to sit down. Esme pushed herself toward the table, plopping down in the seat. Draco pointed to the side of the wall with cauldrons. "I'm sure you know what those are."

She smirked at him, her head tilting, "Do I?

He rolled his eyes at her, signalling to the vials. "These are the main potions that I always keep with me in case of emergencies. This one" He pointed to the vial at the end. It was a translucent colour and was the only one kept in a glass jar. "Essence of dittany is used to heal shallow wounds." This, his snowy-coloured finger moved down the line to the next vial. "It's a calming draught, and then the one beside it is a Draught of Peace". He continued down the line pointing his finger one after the other "Skele-gro, Veritaserum, and the last one is Sleeping Draught". Her eyes fixated on the potions he had in his hand, curiously soaring through her mind. She was intrigued to know more. Not because of her plan towards using him but healing sounded appealing.

"Interesting", she murmured.

Mr.Malfoy grey eyes snapped at her. She was oblivious to the way his eyes roamed along with her figure. The materials for his potion healing had grasped her full attention. Draco's eyes clouded up, continuing to watch her as if he remembered something. When Esme looked back up, their eyes met, and she swallowed, leaning slightly forward while placing her face on the palm of her hands. His eyes flickered at the motion.

"What made you decide to take up healing?"

Her question had struck something inside of him. She could tell by how his breathing had changed, his chest rose and fell with more force, and from the corner of her eye, she could see him gripping the edge of the desk tightly. His knuckles pale white. Mr.Malfoy raised his eyebrows in surprise for a brief second, as his eyes narrowed into slits taken back with uncertainty. He blinked slowly, "To help others''. She made no hesitation in responding immediately.