I

Flashbacks

Warning: Suicidal Thoughts 

Day: 1

Esme lays on her back, her head resting upon the thick layer of grass surrounding the perimeter of her house and miles beyond that. The greenery that the trees enforce burrow within her home and the rest of the world. She would much rather be on the small beach that expands behind her house, but she stays because of her Mother's wishes of a guest arriving later. Her Mother has left the tiny island they've been living on. It feels as if time passes like an endless hourglass. It's been a year of living in isolation away from others.

Not once has she complained, but she can feel the loneliness creep up behind her at times. It's been a year since she's last seen the one other place she called home. Hogwarts. She had been there up into her fourth year until her Mother decided to pull her out. It was an abrupt decision, but she understood. 

Her Mother's work was important, critical, and if it meant so much to her, then she promised herself to push away the differences and oppositions that rested on the tip of her tongue, begging to be set free each time her mom brings up the subject.

Her Mother's ambitious traits had not exactly fallen upon her. Instead, she was born through her curious willingness to gain knowledge, to learn wisdom. It was all about obtaining more information. The most impossible. It was never enough, and nor were the books. Her manner always seemed to escape among the void she had created for herself; her answers were partially different from others, and maybe that's why she was deemed weird.

But some part of her being Ravenclaw gave her an extra push for the draw of success. And that's how she made such great friends like Mara and Scorpius.

The two being Slytherin have no care for the legal rules of apparition off the premises of Hogwarts. They've been apparating onto the island every other day for the past year in exchange for solace with a company's return.

She envies the growth of friendship that blossomed between the two, and even though she would never like Scorpius, she knows Mara does. She often watches the way her best friends gaze at him, almost as if the rest of the world could burn and he would be the only thing that mattered. 

Esme wished Mara would tell her, but she also knows of conniving feelings for her. The one's she will never retaliate. Because she will never have feelings for the blonde boy with blue eyes. His friendship is what matters to her, and he knows. He respects her decision. He respects her. She can see him falling in love with Mara. Her two best friends, it's something she's always wished for deep down, but in time she prays the two will find their way to each other. In more ways than one can imagine. 

Esme prays for them to achieve the happiness they deserve, even from a young age and their parents' past.

She's met Mara's Mother, Ms Parkinson, and also her Mother's best friend. Scorpius' father has never made an attempt to introduce himself. She's never seen the blonde's father, but she knows that her Mother's friendship with him is one of the things that's kept her going.

His support through her projects is what's allowed her to succeed. Esme sometimes wonders if her mum misses the two. If she ever regrets giving up the life they had before for this new job. But then again, her Mother has never settled for less. She's always been one to break the rules, to dive into the extraordinary. To achieve things that none have accomplished. 

To succeed at the impossible.

She trails out of her thoughts and brought back the present as her eyes skim the pages of her book about Hogwarts A History. Her favourite.