Chapter 20: Talk is Cheap

**Billie**

"Billie, wait." Jade says pushing me away gently, "You're dating Dakota, and this just feels wrong..."

"Being with Dakota feels wrong." I mumble.

"So, why are you with her?"

"I don't know." I shrug. "I didn't want to be alone and at first she reminded me of you..."

"I beg your pardon?"

"You both have tattoos?" I sense I've made a mistake.

"Uh huh?"

"She was sweet when we first started dating, and then everything changed. She became manipulative and abusive and threatened to 'out' me or ruin my career anytime I said I didn't want to be with her anymore." I shrug.

"Abusive? How?"

"Jade, it's fine. She hasn't done anything since I've been at Fin and Claudia's."

"How?"

I sigh and look at the ground. "She's grabbed my arm a few times or grabbed me by the back of the neck." I look at Jade out of the corner of my eye and I can tell by her shoulders she's silently fuming.

"Jesus." She mumbles mostly to herself.

"But she hasn't laid a finger on me since I've been at Fin and Claudia's or since tour started."

The smell of coconut, coffee and pancakes fills my nostrils, as big blue eyes meet mine.

"Hi." Chase says smiling widely as he climbs in bed next to me.

"Chase, let's let Billie sleep, okay?" Jade says walking into the guest room I'm all too familiar with picking up one of his sharks.

"He's okay." I yawn as I sit up and stretch.

"He's not familiar with personal space." She says handing him the shark as he lays next to my hip, he gives off the same warmth Jade does even though he's not her biological son.

"He's fine, Jade, really." I smile looking down at the toddler.

"Okay, there's coffee and breakfast is in the kitchen when you're ready." She says walking out, "Oh and your mom is here with Aunt Sherri."

Great. "Ok." I say laying back against the pillows as Chase cuddles closer to me, explains the pancake smell.

"Are you going to stay with us?" Chases asks as he plays with the hem of my shirt. I'd love to tell him yes but my tour leaves tomorrow for New Orleans and I don't think Jade would be okay with him going with me.

"I wish I could, baby." I say looking at him, "but I have a job where I have to travel a lot."

"Can me and mommy come?"

"I don't think so, your mommy has a pretty important job too. But maybe I can come visit again."

"Do you love my mommy?" Wow, even he's asking this question.

"Chase? Billie's mommy is here. Let's let them talk okay?" Jade says poking her head in before I can answer Chase's question.

"But mommy."

"She'll say goodbye to you. C'mon, let's get dressed."

"Okay." He sighs as he slowly crawls out of the bed as my mom walks in slowly holding two cups of coffee.