Chapter 9: My stubborn Heart

**Jade**

"I thought you were ignoring my calls." Billie says half joking, I can hear that smirk on her perfect face.

I sigh and steel myself for the conversation and a lie I'm not ready to tell myself or her, but if I want to make any semblance of a relationship with Jackson work I need stop flirting with her. "I kind of was." I say as I sit at my desk. "But I figured you were calling to either apologize again or someone died..."

"Well, my relationship with Dakota is kind of dead." There it is... "But I did call to apologize again. I know what I said was fucked up."

"I appreciate the apology," I know I sound condescending. "I appreciated all 5 apologies, Billie."

"You could have text me back." She says chuckling, but the hurt is evident in her voice.

I sigh, I don't want to do this with her, not in my office, not at 5:50pm on Thursday, "You're right, but I didn't." I really don't want to have to do this. "Billie, we can't keep doing whatever we're doing."

"We're just frien-"

"Friends I know, but friends don't flirt, nor do they have occasional phone sex..." I sigh. "I really like Jackson." I hear her scoff at his name and I can see her rolling her eyes in my head. "And I want to at least try to make a relationship work with him so...."

"So, you're breaking up with me?"

"I guess when you put it that way, yeah. I can't let my ex-girlfriend get in the way of my current relationship.... I still have love for you Billie. But, I'm not in love with you... anymore." I let the lie fall out of my mouth and swallow the lump in my throat as I hear silence on the other line and then 3-beeps. "I'm sorry...," I mumble into the phone knowing I won't hear from her.

"You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tract and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.'" I look down at a sleepy Chase as he yawns and leans against my chest as I kiss the top of his head. "'Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.'" Step with care.... I should have done that when I spoke to Billie earlier. I sigh softly as I turn the page. "'And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! 98 and ¼ guaranteed! Kid, you'll move mountains!'" I look down as small snores escape Chase's lips as I close the book and set it on my nightstand.

I lay Chase down gently on the bed and cover him up as grab my phone to check the time and half expect to see a text from Billie, but still nothing.

**Billie**

"I'm glad you called." Dakota says adjusting her very minimal cleavage like she's trying to get me to look, and honestly, if I was no longer tempted by Jade I wouldn't be calling her. But, the phrase "I'm not in love with you..." is on repeat in my head and in her own way maybe Dakota loves me.

"Well, tour kicks off in 2 weeks and I talked to Danny earlier..." I sigh. "And while you can't come with me for the whole tour, you can come with me for like two weeks. And the first few shows are here in LA so I'll make sure you have tickets to those shows." I say in almost one breath.

"Are you going to Texas?"

"In July..." I know where this is going.

"Then I'll come visit you in July." She smiles, like she's won an argument. I could tell her I'm no longer talking to Jade, but it's easier to just let her think she won.