Chapter 28: One day I'll be good

**Jade**

"I want to be there for you and our daughter." Jackson says placing his hand gently on my stomach. And truthfully the feeling of his hand on my body makes me almost cringe.

"You didn't have those feelings when I told you I was pregnant." I say looking at his hand then at him.

"I was upset, I thought you'd been cheating on me. How was I supposed to react?"

"You could have given me the benefit of the doubt."

"And I told you I was sorry for accusing you of cheating..."

"You wanted nothing to do with me or my daughter until after you saw those leaked pictures on Instagram."

"And I'm trying to make it right, Jade." He says, I can tell he's trying not to raise his voice.

"Well maybe it's too late." I snap. "I've done this by myself for this long. I don't need you in my life."

"Why are you being so stubborn?" He sighs trying to rein in his emotions.

"Because you left me..."

"Thank you, Brynne." I say holding up the small set of neutral-colored onesies for the group of women to 'ooh and ahh' over as Claudia writes my cousin's name down on a legal pad.

To be honest, I feel completely overwhelmed and embarrassed, though I know everyone here and the only child here is Chase and he's upstairs and out of sight with Finneas, I'm overwhelmed.

"You're welcome." Brynne says smiling.

"This one is from your uncle Frank and me." Aunt Sherri says scooting a large box in front of me.

"Wow." I say inspecting the box before tearing the pink colored paper with small, bowed rattles all over it.

"I know it's not the one on your registration, but this one had better reviews." Aunt Sherri says looking at the car-seat.

"Thank you, Aunt Sherri." I say looking over at Claudia who is enjoying this far too much.

"You're welcome honey."

"This is from Maggie." Claudia says handing me a small box "She's sorry she can't be here."

"My feelings aren't hurt." I say opening the box to reveal a small hand-knitted lavender blanket with the name 'Daphne' in a deep shade of purple knitted into the corner.

"Oh, honey..." Aunt Sherri says looking at the blanket "that's beautiful."

"Yeah, it is." I say running my hand gently over the hand-stitched name. "Remind me to call her." I say lowly to Claudia.

"Mommy?" I hear Chase pad into the kitchen.

"Yes, my love?" I say looking down at him as he hugs my leg.

"When is Billie coming?" He asks as he climbs up onto the barstool.

"I'm not sure." I say helping him up by the back of his pants.

"Oh..."

"But, maybe it'll be soon, and you can show her your Halloween costume."

"Mommy?"

"Yes?"

"Can Finneas take me trick or treating?"

"Oh... I don't know baby. You'd have to ask him." I have no idea where my son's obsession with the O'Connells came from. He took to Billie the moment he looked at her, and he's been Fin's 3'5" shadow since he got here earlier this month.