Hypnosis

"You don't see this kind of questioning every day," Detective Nash stated the next afternoon. She and Coleman waited in the hallway while Dr. Richards took care of the preparations.

"Our superiors have agreed to the plan. And luckily we're allowed to record the whole thing," Coleman muttered, looking at his watch. The door to the boy's patient room opened and Dr. Richards waved them in. In a low voice he said, "Remember, it's important that you remain quiet during hypnosis. I've looked at your list of questions and I know what to look out for. But if you want me to follow up on a specific point, just give me a sign."

The two detectives nodded silently and sat down on two chairs by the window. Coleman started the dictaphone. Dr. Richards leaned over Logan, whose eyes were closed. He was breathing calmly and and looked like he was just sleeping.

"Logan, can you hear me?"

At first nothing happened, but then…

"Yes ...", Logan replied in a calm voice that sounded as if he were far away.

"Bad things have happened to you lately and I know how much you would love to forget them. But I have to ask you to tell me what you experienced that day. Do you think you can do this for me?"

"I think so."

"Good. I want you to go back now. To the day your stepfather died. Don't be afraid. I'm here all the time, taking care of you. Nothing will happen to you. You are safe. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"Yes."

"Breathe … calmly and evenly ... in ... and out ... in ... and out..."

Dr. Richards waited a few seconds, then he asked, "Where are you at this moment?"

Again, it took some time to get an answer from Logan. "School ... No, on the way home."

"Are you alone?"

"No ... Kendall ... he's with me. We get home ... but ... something is wrong."

"What is wrong?"

"Charles's car. It's not there. That's strange."

"What do you do then?"

"Kendall says I shouldn't worry about it. He says I should be happy about it. He's right. So we go into the house, eat pizza, talk. But then..."

"What happens then?"

"Phone ... Kendall gets a call ... Camille ... she's hurt..."

"Is Camille your girlfriend?"

"No ... Yes ... It's complicated."

"But you care about her, don't you?"

"Yes."

"After the call you drove to the hospital. What happened there?"

"I ... I want to see Camille but her parents don't want that ... They don't like me ... but her brother helps me ... I can see her..."

"Do you see her right now?"

"Yes."

"How do you feel about it?"