A Phone Call Between Two Lovers

"I can't believe I'm finally back with you," Logan mumbled and kissed Camille's neck.

"Yeah, for that matter... I don't think this will work for us."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Do you know why I was interested in you in the first place? Because I thought you had guts. But obviously I was wrong about that."

Logan no longer understood the world. Camille's tone was chilly, unfriendly. What happened here?

"I... I don't understand-"

"You didn't even manage to kill your stepfather."

"Well... no. But he's dead. And that's all that matters."

"You didn't kill him."

"I was with him when he died! He-"

"She's right, boy. You didn't kill me."

His insides froze to ice as Logan slowly turned around. He screamed. Charles was standing in the doorway with a gun in one hand and a diabolical grin on his face. "Did you really think you could get rid of me that easily? Oh no, boy, you'll never get rid of me. And now I can finally finish what I started." Laughing maliciously, he raised the gun, pointed it at Logan, and pulled the trigger...

"Logan... it's okay, man. Just wake up. Everything's fine."

Logan woke up, gasping, and looked around the room, confused. It took him a moment to realize where he was. Then he looked at Jeff who was standing next to Logan's bed, looking at him with concern.

"Another nightmare?"

Logan nodded and wiped the slight film of sweat from his forehead. "Yes. Sorry for waking you up."

Jeff waved it off. "No problem. Do you want to talk about it?"

"Um, no. It's okay. You can go back to sleep."

Jeff nodded. "Okay. But if you need anything, just let me know."

Logan lay motionless for several minutes while Jeff fell asleep again. Then he rolled over and opened the drawer of his bedside table. A fleeting smile flew over his face as he looked at all the letters he had received recently. He searched the drawer and pulled out two letters. He leaned back against his pillow and unfolded the first letter in the light of the table lamp.

Logan…

As difficult as it was for you to write this letter, it was as difficult for me to wait for a sign of life from you. You can't imagine how terrified I was after learning what happened on that terrible day. At that moment I just wanted to go to you, hug you, and never let go of you. But I couldn't do that because you had already left town. And when I read your note, I felt like everything was lost. I'm so glad you changed your mind in the meantime. Because I don't want a break either. I always wanted you. So you can tell the broken inside boy that there is nothing I would rather do in the world than waste my time with him. I would love to give you the strength you need to move forward. I would do anything for you. And just like you, I can't stop thinking about you. I miss you and I want nothing more than to finally have you with me again. Take care of yourself, Logan.