But On The Other Hand

After Kelly and Dave returned, the four tried to talk about other things. But in the end nobody really knew what else to say and they got ready to say goodbye. Kelly followed Dave and Kiara to the door and turned back to Logan. He stared at the floor and his right hand was clenched in a fist. She sighed and looked at Dave. "I'll catch up to you."

Dave nodded, put a hand on Kiara's shoulder and walked away with her. Kelly returned to the room and closed the door. Then she sat down again in one of the chairs in front of Logan's bed. "Is everything okay?"

He snorted. "Sure. Everything is great."

She was silent and waited. Finally, Logan lifted his head and looked at her with a slightly desperate expression on his face. "I don't know what will happen to me now. I don't know what the next few weeks will be like. And as if all of that weren't bad enough, Camille is still unconscious. Dr. Richards told me. In fact, the odds are so bad, according to her doctors, that they suspect that Camille might never... If she dies, it will be my fault. But what if she wakes up and will hate me? I feel as if I'm standing on the edge of an abyss and fighting against gravity, which tries to pull me further and further down. I... I'm scared, Kelly."

Kelly shook her head, sat next to Logan on the bed and hugged him. Hugged him like a mother would hug her own child. Once again Logan got overwhelmed by his emotions and started to cry. Kelly held him and rubbed his back soothingly. "Don't cry, Logan. Everything will be fine. You know that this therapy was the right decision. And as for Camille... well... as sad as it is, but for now we can only hope for the best."

"My parents are dead, Kelly. I can't lose another close person, not Camille."

"I know, Logan. We have to try to be strong now."

"I don't think I have enough strength left in me to be strong."

"Yes, you have. You will see. You are not alone, Logan. We are there for you. And together we will get through this."

A few days later, Logan was sitting on a bench in the hospital park. He sat there with his eyes closed and enjoyed the comforting warmth of the sun on his face. Suddenly, he heard a voice behind him ask, "Feels good, doesn't it?"

Logan opened his eyes in surprise and turned around. Jake Roberts stood behind him. He nodded to Logan and then sat down on the bench next to him. "How are you?"

Logan shrugged. "I'm alive."

Jake nodded slowly. "I heard what happened to you and um... I'm sorry."

"Thank you."

For a while, they sat there in silence. Then Logan asked, "Why are you talking to me? You should hate me like your parants do."

Jake sighed. "Well... unlike my parents, I try to look at the whole picture. And it wouldn't be fair to punish you for something which you are not to blame."

"But it is my fault," Logan said in a dark voice. Jake shook his head. "I heard something else."

"But Camille-"

"Logan, I know my sister inside and out. And if she's absolutely convinced of something, no one can stop her. No matter how hard you tried, she would never have left you alone."