Stay Strong

Kendall, James, and Carlos looked at Logan in confusion.

"What the hell was that?" James asked.

"I had to do it," Logan said in a weak voice. Kendall sighed and sat down on a chair next to Logan's bed. "Okay, what did he do this time?"

"Yesterday he beat me up again to stop me from coming to school today. But this morning he forced me to leave despite my injuries."

"Why did he do that?" Carlos asked. "That doesn't make any sense."

"He loves to have power over me, to play with me."

"Okay, he's an asshole, we already know that. But what does this have to do with Camille?"

"He ... He forced me break contact with her. Otherwise, something might happen to her."

There was an awkward silence after that sentence. Then James cleared his throat. "Um, okay, but why is this so distressing for you? You two hardly know each other."

Logan remained silent for a moment. "We got to know each other better over the last few weeks ... much better."

"Wait ... does that mean you like Camille Roberts?" Carlos asked, surprised. Logan sighed. "Guys, don't be offended, but I want to be alone."

"Okay, can anyone tell me why don't we just call the police?" Carlos asked, who was sitting with Kendall and James in Kendall's room. "We can't continue to watch Logan being hurt by this jerk."

Kendall nodded. "I know, but Logan asked us not to tell anyone."

"What about Camille? If Logan told the truth, it was a clear threat against Camille, wasn't it?" James interjected.

"Speaking of Camille ... what do you guys think of her and Logan?"

"Well, it was surprising. But if the two actually have a connection to each other, why not?" James said, shrugging, and Carlos nodded approvingly. Kendall thought for several minutes, then he slowly said, "We can't call the police because we promised Logan. But maybe we can do something else to help him."

"What are you talking about?" Carlos asked. Kendall took his phone and dialed a number. "You'll see."

Camille entered Jo's room and stopped immediately when she saw Kendall, James, and Carlos. Indignantly, she turned to Jo. "Did you arrange this? First you ask me if I can come over, and then all of a sudden these idiots are here."

"Hey," James said insulted, but he was ignored. Jo sighed. "Sorry, Cami. Kendall asked me to help them."

Camille snorted and wanted to leave, but Kendall said, "Camille, wait. Listen to us first. If you still want to go after that, we're not going to stop you."

Camille bit her lower lip, then she sat down next to Jo on the bed. "Fine. What do you want?"

"It's about Logan," Kendall began, but was interrupted by Camille. "I don't care about him."

"Yes, you do. You like him and he-"

"He used me! And he said he didn't want to see me anymore." She stood up angrily and wanted to leave the room for the second time when Kendall called, "He tried to protect you!"

Camille stopped and slowly turned around. "What?"

Kendall hesitated. "Did Logan tell you about his stepfather? The truth?"

Camille nodded. "Yes."

Kendall pointed to the bed. "Please, sit down."

Camille sat down next to Jo again. "What did his stepfather do?"

"He forced Logan to break contact with you. Otherwise..."

"What?"

"He threatened to do something to you if Logan didn't do what he wanted," James finished. Silence spread, which was interrupted by Jo, "Um ... Can someone explain to me what is going on here?"

The four turned to Jo. Now they realized that Jo had no idea about the whole thing. They exchanged a quick look, then Kendall said, "Okay, listen..." He told Jo the whole truth. When he finished, Jo was shocked. "And what do you want to do now?"

"We want to show Logan that he's not alone," Carlos said.

"But we have a problem. Obviously, Charles knows one of the doctors. So I have no idea how to do that," Kendall added.

Jo thought for a moment. "What hospital is Logan in?"

Kendall told her. "Why?"

Jo smiled. "Logan's stepfather isn't the only one who knows someone who works in this hospital."

Logan rolled around in bed restlessly. He was in pain and despite the thick - but uncomfortable - hospital bed cover he froze. He heard footsteps in the hallway in front of his room, then the door was slowly opened.

'Probably one of the night nurses,' Logan thought, pondering whether to ask her for a painkiller. His thoughts were interrupted when he felt a touch on his forehead. He opened his eyes and was surprised. Camille stood by his bedside.

"What are you doing here?" He asked in a weak voice. She smiled. "Do you want to ask me that every time we see each other?"

He smiled back. "Maybe ... Why don't you hate me?"

"Because I know why you said all these things. Your friends told me."

"I don't want him to hurt you."

"So you think it's better if you hurt me?"

"I thought, if you hated me, you'd be safe."

"Logan ... Don't you remember? I told you you're not alone."

Logan sighed. "Camille ... I have to tell you something. I ... I don't want this anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"This special friendship thing. I don't want that anymore."

"Oh ... So you want us to be just normal friends?" Camille asked disappointed. Logan shook his head. "No, I want more ... I mean..." He sighed. "I ... I'm not good with words, so let me show you what I mean." He pulled her close and kissed her. But this kiss was different. It was slow and gentle. And his hands didn't wander over her body as usual, but rested gently at her waist. He tried to put all the things he couldn't say in that kiss. But at some point, they had to end the kiss. Camille stroked his hair. "Are you sure?" she asked, whispering. He nodded.

"What about the other girls?"

"There haven't been any other girls for a long time." He kissed her again, gently running his fingers through her curly hair. "I want to spend a night with you. Just you and me."

She smiled. "Just one night?"

"Well, of course I want more than just one night. But in the current situation, I see no other option."

"Okay," she said, kissing his cheek. "I think we'll find a way."

"How?"

He saw her pulling something out of her bag.

"What's this?"

"A second cell phone. In case your stepfather will search your phone for possible text messages between you and me."

Logan took it and hid it in the nightstand. "Thank you."

She sighed. "I have to go now. Try to get some sleep, okay?"

He nodded and closed his eyes. She stroked his forehead with a slightly trembling hand. Logan opened his eyes again, took her hand in his, and led it to his lips. He kissed her fingertips, then the back of her hand, and smiled at her encouragingly. "Don't be afraid."

She smiled a little bit.

"Yes, that's better. And now give me a goodbye kiss."

She laughed and did him the favor. "Stay strong," she said softly.

"I will. With your help."